Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling system problem for 2 years

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Cooling system problem for 2 years

So, today is the day I decided to flush my cooling system. I add the BG cleaner to the reservoir, start the vehicle and let it idle for 30 minutes. While this is going on, I periodically touch the plastic tubes, coming from the radiator, and going to the throttle body. They don't seem to be as hot as they should be. I shut if off, let it cool, and open the reservoir cap. It appears the cleaner is still in the reservoir. So, I begin checking things, and find:

The large hose coming from the bottom of the reservoir that goes to the water pump is kinked. I move the reservoir and reposition and un-kink the hose. Start the vehicle again, and within minutes, both plastic tubes are as hot as the radiator hoses.

I flushed the system last 2 years and 16,000 miles ago. I don't know for sure, but I am assuming the hose has been kinked since then. The coolant in the reservoir has potentially remained stationary for 2 years. Of course, I immediately freak out, and check the RAVE coolant flow diagram. The two plastic pipes feed into the reservoir and the large hose feeds out. The vent hose is not clogged, so the system has been able to release pressure all this time.

I'm still a little paranoid about potential problems, but have no coolant leaks, and the engine has NEVER gone beyond 1/2 way on the gauge. Within a few minutes of driving, the needle moves slowly from cold to 1/2 way and remains stationary at the midpoint until the next morning.

Is there anything I should be concerned about, that I am overlooking? Or just go with it as is- hose un-kinked and repositioned to prevent kinking again?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Unkink it and forget about it.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Already done. Going to do one more rinse with water tomorrow, and refill with pre- diluted Prestone universal extended life (and I know I am going to catch flak about this, but I flush every two years) and the BG coolant additive and sealer. Basically a BG coolant flush without the machine.

After un-kinking the hose, and flushing with water, I noticed that if I pinched the hose that was kinked with the engine running, the water returning to the reservoir from the radiator would stop. I am going to have another beer, and go with the assumption that: even if the 1/2" hose to the engine were blocked, eventually the pressures in the engine and radiator would overcome the cap, and allow expanded coolant to flow back into the reservoir.