Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Couple Questions, Opinions Welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default A Couple Questions, Opinions Welcome.

Hi folks, I purchased an 01 Disco two weeks ago and so far really enjoy it.

I have replaced a few cosmetic bits but nothing mechanical yet, here in lies my questions.

It is leaking oil in a few spots and the engine is fairly gummed up. No coolant leak that I have noticed in my short ownership so far. I want to get the engine cleaned up soon when weather allows to trace the leaks down. I am fairly positive that the valve covers are leaking. Other spots, I am not sure of yet.

I have been reading this forum extensively and know all about the leak "probability".

Question one. Would you do the head gasket even if it is not showing signs of failure if you were going to replace just the valve cover gaskets? It has 110k on the clock. I have always been a "not broke, don't fix it guy" but I understand the Rovers a different animal.

My my radio is not displaying but otherwise works great. Is there any fix for this. I wouldn't mind a flip out display or even better, a stock fit touch screen. Everything I have seen (like crutchfield) says the flip outs don't fit.

I am pretty comfortable in auto mechanics, if I had to rate skill level, I would say a seven out of 10. So I have decent skill but the rover is unlike my beloved Fords.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Oh, how do you know if the engine is a Bosch or P38?

Old 03-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I assume you live in big red country by your name. I am in Norfolk area.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Grand Island.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Oil leak is likely a result of a plugged valve cover breather, search pcv mod. I would guess that your valve cover leak will go away after that. At 110k I would guess you have about 30k in her before the hg go on their own, maybe a bit longer if you take real good care not to overheat it. If it was mine I would probably not do the hg pre-emptively. Keep a close eye on the coolant leaks, they can be sneaky. Given your skill level and mileage the only pre-emptive recommendations I would have is to change the plastic coolant lines from the radiator to the bottle and from the TB heater to the bottle. And definitely do the bypass thermostat mod. I have bought three Discos for less than $1k due to stuck thermostats.

The following users liked this post:
HuskerRover (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think "bosch"engines are 1998-04,Lucas"GEMS" before that and P38 is 2nd gen Range Rover still using the Rover v8.Do check your front driveshaft-worn u-joints can cause it to come loose at T/C end and break up the transmission case...I have found rovers very easy to work on -just about the same as American stuff.

The following users liked this post:
HuskerRover (03-12-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 03:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a Jensen Flip Out from Crutchfield in my 02 and it fits just fine.
HOWEVER - I've had two in the truck (first one different brand failed and had to return) and both have screen hinges in the same location.
The 45* support bar on the screen hinge hits the upper part of the plastic dash/radio cover. I had to notch it so the screen would open all of the way.
Keep this in mind and know you might need to do the same.

Remember also to READ the instructions for the metra wiring harness from Crutchfield - red/yellow get swapped for our trucks

Old 03-13-2019, 03:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

I'd just change the tappet cover gaskets, and leave the head gaskets for another day. The tappet cover gaskets are rubber, and being 18 years old...they are as hard as a rock by now. Just be aware...there are little round gromets inside each mounting hole of the gasket...and they will fall into the engine intake or head while removing...so...be very careful lifting the cover. Watch and listen for them falling out.

Do the PCV upgrade, it is listed above in the "sticky" section. I've never done it, but most folks here swear by it.

Since you may have to drain a little coolant to remove upper intake, for tappet cover gasket R/R. Might be a good time to flush coolant system and change thermostat. You'll need to do a thorough bleeding procedure, plenty of topics here on that, and chose the coolant of your liking. Me, l prefer green...because...it's the color of money...and something l don't have anymore since acquiring this rover addition...so seeing something green reminds me of the old days.

Good luck, with your new toy.

Brian.