Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Whining, ticking and dripping

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Whining, ticking and dripping

Ok, I have been rolling through Disco Mike’s list and fixing or replacing worn out or fuggered “fixes” from the previous owner and I am to this point:
  1. new coolant lines, thermostat and fluid
  2. new oil cooler lines and o-rings
  3. no new leaks from the power steering lines
  4. most fluids replaced
  5. new air box and filter
  6. replacing tie rod ends
  7. and currently no new codes
The engine compartment is starting to clean up. I have been running my D1 with an OBD2 reader since I bought it this summer and the engine has never gotten above 200* even with the AC on during the 110* summers. Yet I do have a slow coolant leak at the rear driver’s side valve cover gasket (#7 cylinder). It is dripping about once every 10 seconds.
  1. I guess I can assume I will be doing a HG in the near future?
  2. Is that a typical location to see a 4.0 Gems engine to spring a leak for a head gasket ?
  3. If I am doing the hg, what else should I be replacing while I have it apart?
that last one is a loaded question because it has a rover tick once she warms up and a squeal on start up until she is driven for a while. Let’s see if I can download some pictures and a couple of videos with sound and see what your thoughts are on the culprits.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:40 AM
Three Wheeling

My desert prize

Valve cover gasket leak

Old 01-30-2019, 12:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Well my 30 second video must be too big.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:59 AM
Three Wheeling

dripping on the cat

Missing exhaust manifold bolt

I kinda wonder if someone did a half assed HG job and just didn’t do a very good job?

Old 01-30-2019, 08:15 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

I'd guess the bolt on the exhaust manifold broke and is still in the block and am surprised you don't have an exhaust leak. In fact, an exhaust leak is what you my be hearing as a 'tick'.

Regarding coolant at the base of the valve covers... does anyone else think that is an odd place to find coolant?

The following 2 users liked this post by WaltNYC:
NVRover (01-31-2019), OverRover (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 09:45 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Regarding coolant at the base of the valve covers... does anyone else think that is an odd place to find coolant?
Yes, strange place for a head gasket leak.

I would be looking at the Throttle Body Heater Plate Gasket and the hoses going to it.
And IMHO, those Home Depot hose clamps are garbage.
Also check the TBH Plate itself, it's very easy to get a small crack or even loosen the nipples when removing the old hoses.

The following users liked this post:
NVRover (01-31-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 02:36 PM
Three Wheeling

I will definitely look at the Throttle Body Heater Plate Gasket and the hoses going to it. Do you have to take the whole throttle body off to access that?

For the exhaust manifold bolt, I haven't probed the hole yet but I agree that it probably has a piece of the old one lodged in there. The ticking though sounds like it is coming from the other side of the engine (under the passenger side valve cover) i.e. lifter, rod or rocker, perhaps. I have a video on my phone that really gives the listener clear sound of both the ticking and the whine in the front of the engine which started just before xmas.
Is there a special way to download video here that I am missing?

Old 01-31-2019, 08:00 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by NVRover
Is there a special way to download video here that I am missing?
Likely easiest to upload to youtube and link here.

In the "user cp" section there is a section called "Pictures & albums" where you can upload photos and maybe video to link into the forum. It is a bit cumbersome but it works pretty well.

The following users liked this post:
NVRover (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 11:14 PM
Three Wheeling

You guys were right. I have a leak at the hose connecting to the TB heater. I think the heater hose may be to large inside diameter, so I’ll get some new hose tomorrow. I hope that takes care of the leak without pulling the TB off.

Now on the exhaust manifold...I probed the missing bolt hole and it appears that it may just be really dirty but clear of broken bolt bits. I need to clean and chase the threads. I checked the rest of the EM bolts and all but two were loose and one was finger tight. So it’s not out of the realm of possibility that the missing one just fell out and PO just never noticed. I think new gaskets and bolts may be appropriate.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok, throttle body off and yep, the heater gasket had issues. I have a replacement Britpart gasket but it has an extra nubin on it that doesn’t look like it should be there. Is this a bad gasket or am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Whining, ticking and dripping