Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRACK IS WACK!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 06:24 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRACK IS WACK!!

I have two problems with my 96 LR. First, my LR makes crackling noise under the truck when accelerating. This noise only happens when the engine is warmed up. There are NO crackling noise for the first 10 minutes . The noise appear ONLY when I step on the gas. Second, My LR wont start sometimes after I turn off the ignition. I will have to wait 30 minutes before I can start it again. This is a nightmare when pumping gas. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

T

Old 09-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: CRACK IS WACK!!

For the starting problem, you might look at the replacing the fuel filter and the fuel pump relay, these can be common problems on D1's.
As for the cracking sound, the only thing I can think of would be a broken flex plate.
Mike

Old 09-21-2006, 12:46 AM
4wd Low

Well, when I said the truck does not start. I meant that it does not crank, but the truck those have power. When it does that, I usaully have wait for 25-30 minutes before it can crank again. It only takes one crank to start the truck "when it does crank". It only does this when the trucks been running and engine is hot. Its very consistant, always 25-30 minutes before I can crank. Its like the engine needs to cool down or something.

M

Old 09-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd replace the starter relay, and have the starter itself checked out. Also--- there was a problem with the ECM on your year Discovery addressed in the Land Rover TSB that I have pasted in below. Problem is-- only a Dealer or a shop with the TestBook or Autologic unit can perform this EPROM update.

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

GEMS No Start Security Update TSB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intermittent Failure of Engine to Start
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
DISCOVERY (LJ) All GEMS Equipped
SITUATION:
ENGINE CRANKS BUT WILL NOT START OR INTERMITTENTLY WILL NOT CRANK
Intermittently the vehicle may not crank or crank and not start. Some or all of the following symptoms may be present:
^ The "Check Engine" light does not illuminate when the key is turned to position II (run).
^ A delay of 3 to 5 seconds between turning the key to position III (crank) and engine cranking.
^ After turning the key off (position I) then on again, the vehicle starts normally.
RESOLUTION:
* MODIFICATION OF THE IMMOBILIZATION STRATEGY *
The symptoms outlined indicate that the engine is temporarily immobilized due to a miscommunication between the security (10AS) ECU and GEMS ECM.
The technician must inspect and verify that two circuits and six electrical terminals are in good condition and working correctly as outlined in the repair instructions. When it is determined by the above electrical inspection that the fault is in the ECU, a security strategy modification can be performed to install the most current security ECU configuration. Use TestBook and the "Discovery Security Configuration" compact disk.
NOTE: The repairs outlined in this TIB are to be performed to resolve customer complaint of the symptoms described.

1. Remove the terminals from the connector housings to inspect the pin and socket terminals and the quality of the wiring crimps for each listed in the illustration.
2. Cautiously deform each pin and socket to improve connection.
3. Assemble connectors.
4. Use an ohmmeter to verify the continuity between the following:
^ C225 position 11 to C1032 position 22.
^ C225 position 15 to C1017 position 26.

5. Verify that neither circuit is short-circuited to vehicle ground.
6. If the tests verify the circuits and connectors are functioning correctly, perform selection of current immobilization strategy using TestBook.

* SELECTION OF CURRENT IMMOBILIZATION STRATEGY *
CAUTION: Any repair procedure that replaces the 10AS ECU will cause the GEMS ECM to relearn the security code. Depending on the configuration of the 10AS ECU installed, the GEMS ECM may re-enable the early immobilization strategy.
NOTE: The "Discovery Security Configuration," CD can be used to install the most current 1998 level of vehicle security. The new level of security will eliminate the intermittent failure-to-start symptom experienced on some 1996 and 1997 vehicles. The 1998 level of security continues to activate the horn and the lights and continues to inhibit engine cranking.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:02 PM
4wd Low

THANKS! This is excellent info.