Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Block?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Oh, and what happen to plan A?...lol.
that flew out the window in February..

Old 07-27-2018, 07:43 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

When you figure out the condition of your block, make your decision, but do get it tested. No reason to not to, considering you’re prepared to fix it.

After you know, choose the option that will make you excited to get it back.

I would do new Coilpacks, wires, plugs, and fuel injectors no matter what option tho. Also, an upgraded Cam makes a huge difference.

I did some porting and polishing of my heads, intake and exhaust manifolds. Did it make it run better? I like to think so, but most importantly I feel proud of the build and it makes me smile to open the hood.

If you love the car, do what will put a smile on your face. It’s different for all of us.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (07-27-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 10:34 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

I love my 03 disco but topics like this has always made me nervous about the engines. I hope I don't ever deal with this as in Canada it would cost a arm and a leg to get a new engine or rebuild one.
I work on my Rover most repairs I do myself but engine work no way
I always think should I sell it now while the going is good ? But I look at it and it's dam sexy and there ain't many around the ones that are around 80 % are not looked after

Old 07-30-2018, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
I love my 03 disco but topics like this has always made me nervous about the engines. I hope I don't ever deal with this as in Canada it would cost a arm and a leg to get a new engine or rebuild one.
I always think should I sell it now while the going is good ? But I look at it and it's dam sexy and there ain't many around the ones that are around 80 % are not looked after
Just monitor the temps, never let it overheat, and you'll be fine. I was the master of my demise when I cracked my block. I just did not know what I was doing, or that the DII's temp gauge was a complete piece of junk.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:07 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
.................................................. the DII's temp gauge was a complete piece of junk.
X1 ..................... I'll second that. Most times it'll show normal temps and then it'll hit the hot very suddenly, it's the way they make them so not to alarm many everyday punters. It always pays dividends to fit another reliable temp gauge and possibly an alarm in parallel.

The D2 temp gauge is often hidden behind the steering wheel when driving.

CollieRover (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 11:55 AM

I got that covered with my ultra guage alarm set at 215

Old 07-30-2018, 12:23 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

Engine work is more time consuming than hard, these trucks are so easy to work on there is a ton of room in the engine compartment. Worse comes to worse you can source a used engine for around 2500 CDN.

But if you had to do head gaskets replacing the head bolts with studs would make your lifer easier, they are simpler to torque.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Engine work is more time consuming than hard, these trucks are so easy to work on there is a ton of room in the engine compartment. Worse comes to worse you can source a used engine for around 2500 CDN.

But if you had to do head gaskets replacing the head bolts with studs would make your lifer easier, they are simpler to torque.

i think if if you had to do anything internal to a engine it's a lot out of my league guaranteed

as for buying used engines they are hard to find and would you trust one ?

Old 07-30-2018, 02:39 PM

i think if if you had to do anything internal to a engine it's a lot out of my league guaranteed

as for buying used engines they are hard to find and would you trust one ?
A 4.6 out of a Range Rover is a common fix. I think it is a fine fix.

You may surprise yourself though. It is really not that difficult.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:48 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
that flew out the window in February..
Not sure if this experience will help, I'll just throw it in.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...episode-86311/
15K miles since repair and still strong. Just went NJ-Virginia and back and last weekend at
Muddy Chef Challenge in Vermont. I'v been doing a lot of off-roading and camping lately
Cheers

KernowDiscovery (07-31-2018)

Quick Reply: Cracked Block?