Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRACKED BLOCK? Read This!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks very much, Spike- I'm a but comforted that my trusted Mechanic tried everything he could think of, and he was certain that it wasn't a gasket problem.

He said that he stuck a camera in the #7, and it WAS moist looking, but he couldn't tell what the fluid was or where it was coming from.

I'll call Sharpe today and see about the diagnosis. I don't actually know if they spent only 45 minutes on it or not- but before I had it towed, he said the diagnosis would only take 45 minutes or so.

I did have it towed in at about 3pm, and I got the call at 5:30, but I assumed they just had a few cars ahead of me.

I'll let you know.

PS- The only troublesome thing is, my mechanic said he would have noticed a crack or a slipped liner when he pulled the head off, and he didn't notice anything.

PPS- My Rover runs spectacularly right now... So weird....

Old 03-04-2010, 07:29 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Cracked Cylinder Sleeve Diagnosis

Rovers are known to have cracked sleeves after multiple overheates. If you have had problems with overheating and have had your headgaskets repalaced than it s very likely to have a cracked sleeeve.

Your DEALER can perform a Block Test to determine if there is exaust gas in the coolant. IF there is then most likely there is a cracked sleeve. Now of course I am assuming you have had any other obvious coolant leakes replaced, which sounds like most of you have.

So the 45 minuts worth of time at the Dealer is well woth the Money, especially if you have been true to them on what you have done. Yes they could take the heads off and inspect, but wouldn't you rather be up front with them and spend a diagnosis charge and have them run a Block Test or do you wan them to pull the heads off and tell you after $700.00

Sounds like you have a answer good luck

Old 03-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exhaust gases in the coolant doesn't indicated a guaranteed crack block. This could easily be a headgasket issue. It's post like yours that confuses non car guys. Do the landrover motors we are working with have sleeved cylinders? Why. I have and aluminum motor in my racecar and it has sleeves but only because it's aluminum. Why would u sleeve an iron block? Will need a landrover tech to answer this I'm sure. Thanks guys.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rover block is aluminum...

Old 03-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knowlage101, I thought rover sleeves were "dry". The dealer did a combustion gas test at best. I dont think I would let that DEALER work on your rover unless you have very deep pockets!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyin2jz
Exhaust gases in the coolant doesn't indicated a guaranteed crack block. This could easily be a headgasket issue. It's post like yours that confuses non car guys. Do the landrover motors we are working with have sleeved cylinders? Why. I have and aluminum motor in my racecar and it has sleeves but only because it's aluminum. Why would u sleeve an iron block? Will need a landrover tech to answer this I'm sure. Thanks guys.
Do you own an LR? They are all aluminum......That is why Rover engines are so popular for small rally cars. You can get 5.3cu/in out of these things and they are light as heck.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just like OKDGuy said, the Rover 4.0 is the Chevy 350 equvilant in Europe.
Imagine a MG Midget with a bored and stroked 4.0, that would be fun.

To better enhance Rovers off road abilities the engine, transmission and transfer case are aluminum.
All the weight is in the boxed ladder frame and solid axles, with everything else being aluminum (including the body) the truck is bottom heavy not top heavy.
That with coil springs on all four corners give them a 43% roll over angle.
Not to bad for such a narrow truck.
And they are narrow for a reason, ever try to blaze your own trail in a big fat H1?