Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017 | 06:21 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Oasisplayer311
So mine had cracks in the rubber, the one I got from a yard has cracks in the rubber (but in MUCH better condition) but it shakes more. Do you really think it's the balancer??? Cause a new balancer is $280. The last thing I would want to do is spend that money, and be right back here asking questions on the forum

OK, wait. Originally you say that the pulley is wobbling, meaning (at least to me) the large steel "wheel" attached to the front of the crank. Which admittedly is cause for concern.

Here it sounds more like you are saying the BELT is vibrating. And when you switched to a pick-a-part belt, it got worse. Still a concern but not nearly as serious as a pulley.

What part is actually moving? The steel pulleys, or the rubber belt?

If it is the belt, could be you need a tensioner. Pretty sure your crank bearings are fine.

Old 01-11-2017 | 11:37 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Did you align the keyway recess of the balancer pulley when you reinstalled it? I saw a video where somebody beat that pulley on without lining it all up and the result was a disaster.
Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Highly unlikely!

If your crankshaft main bearings were that worn you would have major problems, it would sound like someone hammering on a trash can and you'd have zero oil pressure. All crankshafts are balanced after they are produced and the crank pulley/harmonic balancer is balanced separately after production so no balancing issues there. I suspect you have either displaced the key in the crankshaft key way or failed to notice it when fitting the new pulley. The crank pulley is two halves in most cases and bonded together with rubber laminated to secure the two halves together to form a harmonic balancer. If the pulley rubber delaminates or rots with oil in any way the pulley will wobble and ruin the drive belts in time.

My guess is the key way and key problem which has no doubt been damaged now along with the pulley key way but hopefully the crankshaft isn't damaged.

TIP: never force anything to fit, brute force rarely works, just ease it on gently first to ensure it fits correctly then tighten to the correct torque.
​​​​​​​The key is still there. When I aligned the "new to me" balancer I fitted it on gently, moved it around till it lined up with the key and it slid all the way into place. Key looked fine, not damaged

Old 01-11-2017 | 11:39 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Red5
OK, wait. Originally you say that the pulley is wobbling, meaning (at least to me) the large steel "wheel" attached to the front of the crank. Which admittedly is cause for concern.

Here it sounds more like you are saying the BELT is vibrating. And when you switched to a pick-a-part belt, it got worse. Still a concern but not nearly as serious as a pulley.

What part is actually moving? The steel pulleys, or the rubber belt?

If it is the belt, could be you need a tensioner. Pretty sure your crank bearings are fine.
I'm talking about the harmonic balancer. (The rubber between the two metal parts)

Idlers and tensioner pulley are new as of yesterday when I put the other balancer on. The belt was bought 10k ago when I did the heads

Old 01-11-2017 | 12:09 PM
Pro Wrench

This is for a 2003 D2

So replaced water pump, oil pump, timing chain and cogs, and crankshaft seal 10k miles ago. Noticed I had some oil leaking from the crankshaft seal and my pulley was wobbling.

So I tried tightening, would not tighten anymore.

Replaced the pulley with a used one that "looked" like it was in better condition, wobbles even more.

​​
So I'm wondering if my crankshaft bearing are bad. I'm really at a loss here. I do have a rough idle as well, and shaking goes away when I rev it up

I would try out a 3rd crank pulley. If you didn't notice any wobble or shimmy when you did the R&R 10K miles ago or whatever and then the issue presented itself later on, even more so when you replaced the pulley with another 2nd-hand unit, I would infer that is where the problem lies. Anything related to the internal rotating assembly would be significant and you wouldn't have any question about it. What do you think?

Old 01-11-2017 | 12:30 PM
|
Mudding

I would try out a 3rd crank pulley. If you didn't notice any wobble or shimmy when you did the R&R 10K miles ago or whatever and then the issue presented itself later on, even more so when you replaced the pulley with another 2nd-hand unit, I would infer that is where the problem lies. Anything related to the internal rotating assembly would be significant and you wouldn't have any question about it. What do you think?
Your probably right... Just wondering if I should bite the bullet and lay $280 for a new one. I do have a rough idle that varies, sometimes it's fine, other times it pretty bad. It's never stalled out though.

Old 01-11-2017 | 01:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Your probably right... Just wondering if I should bite the bullet and lay $280 for a new one. I do have a rough idle that varies, sometimes it's fine, other times it pretty bad. It's never stalled out though.
Do you have a check engine light and fault codes? You can find out where the rough idle is coming from.
As for the brand new balancer pulley, personally, I would try yet another $20 take-off and see how it acts before spending that much.

Old 01-11-2017 | 01:18 PM
|
Mudding

Do you have a check engine light and fault codes? You can find out where the rough idle is coming from.
As for the brand new balancer pulley, personally, I would try yet another $20 take-off and see how it acts before spending that much.
No CEL. The rough idle has been there since the heads were done.

Can I use a balancer from a any year D2? Or does it have to be with the 4.6?

Old 01-11-2017 | 02:50 PM
Pro Wrench

No CEL. The rough idle has been there since the heads were done.

Can I use a balancer from a any year D2? Or does it have to be with the 4.6?
Ebay search yields the same model listed for both 4.0 and 4.6, all Disco2. You should being replacing with a duplicate of the original weight though. maybe the replacement that you put on there was different than the original which led to the more pronounced wobble and vibration at idle.

Old 01-11-2017 | 03:16 PM
|
Mudding

Ebay search yields the same model listed for both 4.0 and 4.6, all Disco2. You should being replacing with a duplicate of the original weight though. maybe the replacement that you put on there was different than the original which led to the more pronounced wobble and vibration at idle.
Why would it need to be the same weight? Aren't the Balancers "balanced" individually?

Old 01-11-2017 | 03:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Why would it need to be the same weight? Aren't the Balancers "balanced" individually?

it needs to be the same weight to balance your engine. a different weight will throw off the rotating assembly. it left the factory with what it should have on it.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Wobble