Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017 | 10:31 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Check what I mentioned above first?

A professional would balance the engine. Shouldn't be necessary here though.

Doubtful its the bearings
All the harmonic balancers I've seen have had cracks in the rubber. And from what I know, they don't go bad often. If the Harmonic Balancer is anything like balancing a wheel, then each one is unique and will spin in a different way and weights should be added according to the shake. So taking my weight off and lining it up on another balncer wouldn't help.

Old 01-10-2017 | 10:32 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by abran
Just for sheets and giggles, take off belt and run for e few minutes. Does crank pulley still wobble?
I have already ****ted and giggled. It ended with a frown and diahreah. Crank still wobbles

Old 01-10-2017 | 10:40 PM
Baja

I would take it off and send out to be balanced.

Old 01-10-2017 | 10:43 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by abran
I would take it off and send out to be balanced.
So mine had cracks in the rubber, the one I got from a yard has cracks in the rubber (but in MUCH better condition) but it shakes more. Do you really think it's the balancer??? Cause a new balancer is $280. The last thing I would want to do is spend that money, and be right back here asking questions on the forum

Old 01-10-2017 | 11:46 PM
Pro Wrench

Do you really think it's the balancer???
You have checked for noticeable play/wear of crank/bearings by hand shaking or dial indicator?

Old 01-11-2017 | 12:23 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by number9
You have checked for noticeable play/wear of crank/bearings by hand shaking or dial indicator?
I have grabbed the Harmonic Balancer and grabbed at it from all directions and couldn't find play on either balancer. Don't know what you mean by "dial indicator"?

P.S. You guys are awesome! It's so refreshing to be able to post an issue and troubleshoot with other people. The community here has pretty much turned me into a Land Rover mechanic

Old 01-11-2017 | 01:13 AM
Pro Wrench

Did you align the keyway recess of the balancer pulley when you reinstalled it? I saw a video where somebody beat that pulley on without lining it all up and the result was a disaster.

Old 01-11-2017 | 01:45 AM
Pro Wrench

number9 is referring to the crankshaft end-float... the distance the crankshaft moves front to back. It should only be a few thousandths of an inch. Kind of need a magnetic dial indicator to test it properly... but if you give it a small whack of the hammer to push it all the way back, and then pull it to the front of the engine... does it move a lot?

Did it only start wobbling after the cogs/chain job?

Old 01-11-2017 | 03:44 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
number9 is referring to the crankshaft end-float...
Actually was referring to up/down/side play, rare to find but had it once on 318, first thought it was balancer but once removed realized the engine was shot.

Old 01-11-2017 | 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Oasisplayer311
I didn't know they were all balanced together? How would you go about balancing the engine?

Could it be my crank bearings that are failing?
Highly unlikely!

If your crankshaft main bearings were that worn you would have major problems, it would sound like someone hammering on a trash can and you'd have zero oil pressure. All crankshafts are balanced after they are produced and the crank pulley/harmonic balancer is balanced separately after production so no balancing issues there. I suspect you have either displaced the key in the crankshaft key way or failed to notice it when fitting the new pulley. The crank pulley is two halves in most cases and bonded together with rubber laminated to secure the two halves together to form a harmonic balancer. If the pulley rubber delaminates or rots with oil in any way the pulley will wobble and ruin the drive belts in time.

My guess is the key way and key problem which has no doubt been damaged now along with the pulley key way but hopefully the crankshaft isn't damaged.

TIP: never force anything to fit, brute force rarely works, just ease it on gently first to ensure it fits correctly then tighten to the correct torque.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Wobble