Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:52 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Help!

Hi guys, trying to fox my inop Cruise on MY2000. First obvious issue was the large hose from the pump to the actuator was not even attached and totally shredded. Second issue is the hose from the throttle is not completley attached to the vacuum actuator (see picture) , according to RAVE this should be attached. I am hoping this is my issue , but how does it attach? Am I missing a piece?

Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control Help!-img_0607.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Overlanding

Bump? Even a quick snapshot of another assembly so I can see how this is supposed to connect ! Thanks !

Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Overlanding

If anybody can take a picture of their Disco and how that hose from the Throttle to the Cruise actuator and post it , pm or email it to me, it would be appreciated ! sjfarbs@sbcglobal.net

Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Are you referring to the circled item? That is a Cable, and it appears to be connected correctly.

And here is a picture from a different angle.

Do you have the hose going into the back of it?

That hose comes from the device below it on the bracket, behind the heat shield.

Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control Help!-img_0607.jpg   Cruise Control Help!-cruise.jpg   Cruise Control Help!-hose.jpg   Cruise Control Help!-other.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSport; 01-27-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Overlanding

Thanks SS , mine seems to be connected properly. I think the vacuum pump motor maybe seized , going to open it up and see whats going on! Thank you for the images to help confirm!!!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Drifting

Before you pull the pump apart just renew the hose,did this with mine and cruise control now works perfect.
If you check most of the posts on this site regarding non working cruise control you will find 90% of the time the hose is the problem.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

One more thing to check if your cruise control won't engage even though your binnacle switch is on: verify that your 3rd brake light (Center High-Mount Stop Light or CHMSL) bulb is in place, not burned out, and the correct type.

After I swapped the regular bulb for an LED to get a brighter and faster-reacting CHMSL my cruise control stopped engaging. I have another vehicle where the cruise control will not engage when the CHMSL bulb is burned out so I was able to figure this out pretty quickly this past weekend. It seems that the circuit which tells the cruise control that the brakes are applied relies on continuity in the CHMSL and, if all is not well, it thinks that you are using the brakes which prevents the cruise control from engaging.

-Rob

Old 01-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Overlanding

Excellent, thanks for the info! The large hose to the back of the actuator was bad, so I replaced hoping the CC would work, it did not. The smaller hoses appear ok , but I will pull them to make sure. Will also check the vacuum from the switch on the brake pedal and make sure the 3rd brake light is working. if all that checks ok , I think I am left with the vacuum pump motor not engaging!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by SoCal Rob
One more thing to check if your cruise control won't engage even though your binnacle switch is on: verify that your 3rd brake light (Center High-Mount Stop Light or CHMSL) bulb is in place, not burned out, and the correct type.
Now THAT is interesting, and burned into my memory for future diagnostics...

Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Pro Wrench

I haven't gotten back under my hood, but is there a way to apply power to the pump and use a finger to feel for vacuum?

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Help!