Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Now THAT is interesting, and burned into my memory for future diagnostics...
Oh, it's burned into mine, too. I figured I'd add that so someone searching for cruise control problems in the future would save themselves some time.

I learned about that behavior on a Ford Aerostar (stop laughing!) forum when I had a similar issue. I wonder how many manufacturers use the CHMSL circuit in that way ...

I may try adding a small incandescent bulb in series to see if I can keep my LED in place.

Good luck to all with cruise control issues.

-Rob

Old 01-28-2014, 11:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My cruise control barely worked when I bought the car 2 years ago and it completely died shortly after that. When it worked it wouldn't hold speed very well at all, kind of like it had a leaky hose but I think it was just the pump going out. I have checked all the hoses, replaced the switch on the steering wheel and checked the back light bulb with no luck. I finally just bought a used pump off ebay and it should be here any day. I'll let you know if it fixes my cruise. Fingers Crossed.

I have heard of all kinds of horror stories with the cruise control. I remember one guy on here saying his cruise only worked with the radio off. I believe that there is a part in the steering wheel called the "Cruise Control Spiral Cassette" and I have heard of this being the problem on more then one truck. I think that will be my next buy if the new pump doesn't work.

Last edited by Jared9220; 01-28-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
I believe that there is a part in the steering wheel called the "Cruise Control Spiral Cassette" and I have heard of this being the problem on more then one truck.
Dang, that one would suck to have to buy.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Dang, that one would suck to have to buy.
The price of new parts can be ridiculous for small little things. I try and buy used parts when I'm not sure if it will fix my problem or not. Then after I confirm the problem I wait for the used part to go out and buy a new one later. Sometimes the used one will last forever

Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Pro Wrench

The price of new parts can be ridiculous for small little things. I try and buy used parts when I'm not sure if it will fix my problem or not. Then after I confirm the problem I wait for the used part to go out and buy a new one later. Sometimes the used one will last forever
That sounds like a good plan on the expensive parts.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:51 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE...Third Brake Light does not work , put in new bulb , still does not work. All other brake lights work, so assuming not a fuse. Will remove the socket and inspect. It is possible someone before me removed it and reversed the wires ??? Is there a way to test the leads with a multi meter if I have someone engage the brake pedal?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle

When you press and release the brake do you hear a clicking noise? The brake switch should click if it's working

Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by sjfarbs
Is there a way to test the leads with a multi meter if I have someone engage the brake pedal?
Yes, just test across the leads and check for voltage.

+1 for brake switch. I've repaired or replaced those a few times (not on my Rover).

Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Another possible scenario for third brake light failure is if a rear ladder was added.....drilling the holes to bolt the ladder on can destroy the wiring to the brake light....happened on my D2

Old 01-31-2014, 04:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you press and release the brake do you hear a clicking noise? The brake switch should click if it's working
No click to best memory , where is the brake switch located exactly? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Help!