Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Test Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cruise Control Test Results

I've been chasing a cruise control issue on my 1998 D1. It began failing intermittently. It would set and maintain speed, then just cut out with no input. Sometime it would reset and sometimes it wouldn't work for days or weeks. Finally, it just stopped working all together.

I ran through the test procedure that I found here, which was great by the way. It was exactly what I needed rather than testing each individual component separately.

Anyway, everything tested fine. The only thing which was a little hard to determine was the speed sensor. I didn't have a good way of spinning the rear will at 3mph, so I just let the car roll forward in drive while keeping an eye on the meter. I didn't seem to get a reading until 5mph and above and that would range between 6 and 9 volts. With my laptop connected and my OBD software running I did get accurate speed readings down to 2mph. So, the speed sensor would appear to be fine from what I can tell.

It would seem at this point that the ECU is the culprit and needs to be replaced. Has anyone had any experience that would suggest something different.? I figured I'd check with the experts before shelling out the money.

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:54 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You are having exactly the same problem I am having. I haven't done nearly as much troubleshooting as you but after reading a lot I also came to the conclusion that the ECU for the cruise control is the problem. I just picked up a cruise ECU from www.roverlandparts.com for $60. It's used but it comes with a guarantee.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think Rover Chris just replaced his, might PM him if you have any more questions. I just sent him an ECU I had, and as far as I know he is up and running now.