Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious about the P38 engine swapped into a D2

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It's a big shame. My truck, a TD5, has 120K since I bought it new 10+ years ago and is still going strong with no real big issues apart from the normal irritating ancillaries flunking. On another forum there's an Aussie who has 255K on his original TD5 engine with very little spent on it.

Many hate the D2 TD5 but I prefer it to my late RRS 3.0 litre auto diesel for general use. The Pajero 2.8 TDi SWB is a 1995 although with less miles than the D2 is a great offroader and only worth peanuts now.

The wife's Smarty coupe 'toy car' - well 'now you're cooking on gas', it's great so long as I don't have to drive it or be seen in it (false moustache and glass's needed). But seriously it's a great, cheap to run as a local runabout.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:20 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

TRIARII
(meant as good heated fun)

if questions were not asked, some of us wouldn't know anything.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a 2002 P38 Bosch 4.6 in my '04 Disco 2. Nothing exciting. If/when the head gasket goes I'll most likely buy a new re manufactured engine from Cannibal or Great Plains.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Great and instructive video TRIAR - enjoyed getting an insight into the process.

Regards D2's, I believe most will be willing to impart what knowledge they have but mine is limited to diesels, the TD5 in this case, but the rest of the trucks and transmissions are more or less the same.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:42 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Great and instructive video TRIAR - enjoyed getting an insight into the process.

Regards D2's, I believe most will be willing to impart what knowledge they have but mine is limited to diesels, the TD5 in this case, but the rest of the trucks and transmissions are more or less the same.
Thats not the primary function of the facility though haha mostly they clean/cut/freeze fish and ship it to whoever they send it to. Same with the fish eggs. Last year I was working primary with the scraps as discussed in the video. Next season Ill be gutting/cleaning....

I always was fascinated with the TD5. But Top Gear Jermey Clarkson claims its under powered.... I wish they came out with a very efficient but equally powerful Turbo Diesel engine that still gets great MPG for the Land Rover models..... wishful thinking I guess. Guess it would not matter regardless here in the states.

It was entertaining the idea of using a P38 engine, but maybe thats not the best choice. A friend pointed out that even doing so, still eventually it will need a rebuild. So spending $3-4k to swap in a P38 engine than another 5K down the road for the rebuild is not practical. Better to buy a top hat engine and be done with it. Thanks again for the info guys. Much appreciated.

No problem Drowswap. Was kinda being a smart *** with the video but than again now you guys know what I look like and you know how to process fish scraps! haha Hope all is well Drowswap.........

Old 01-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P38 4.6 in a Discovery

I've had a 4.6 sourced from an '01 P38 in my '99 Discovery since the original 4.0 went south three years ago at about 130,000 miles. Now at 150,000, the engine is sweet as ever, but due to various small issues with the '99, I'm swapping it into an '01 with 80,000 that I got. Yes, the lockable transfer case is being swapped too. It seems that about 50% of Discoveries expire because of a failed engine, with failures in 4.6 Discoveries being at an even higher rate. I agree with the consensus that the engines used in the P38's were better. I'd suggest, for the basis of building your "ultimate" 4.6 for your Discovery, find a 4.6 from a P38 that needs a headgasket, or, if possible, find a P38 that somebody is (practically) giving away because of failed air suspension and a few dodgy electrics, pull the motor, and sell the rest as junk. That way, the motor will cost you very little, and you will have an excellent core to build off of. A couple of things on the Discovery engine are different from the P38 - the oil pan, the oil pump, and I'm not sure what the third item is, but it's common enough knowledge in the LR world.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Thats not the primary function of the facility though haha mostly they clean/cut/freeze fish and ship it to whoever they send it to. Same with the fish eggs. Last year I was working primary with the scraps as discussed in the video. Next season Ill be gutting/cleaning....

I always was fascinated with the TD5. But Top Gear Jermey Clarkson claims its under powered.... I wish they came out with a very efficient but equally powerful Turbo Diesel engine that still gets great MPG for the Land Rover models..... wishful thinking I guess. Guess it would not matter regardless here in the states.

It was entertaining the idea of using a P38 engine, but maybe thats not the best choice. A friend pointed out that even doing so, still eventually it will need a rebuild. So spending $3-4k to swap in a P38 engine than another 5K down the road for the rebuild is not practical. Better to buy a top hat engine and be done with it. Thanks again for the info guys. Much appreciated.

No problem Drowswap. Was kinda being a smart *** with the video but than again now you guys know what I look like and you know how to process fish scraps! haha Hope all is well Drowswap.........

The Td5 is PLENTY powerful for any Land Rover...trust me