Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 crank no start, stalling and idle spikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 10:38 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 crank no start, stalling and idle spikes

Hello I drive a 00 D2 with the v8 & automatic trans and just shy of 180k and for the last few months I’ve been having issues with my rig,I first experienced idle spikes where I would be sitting in the parking lot at my work and my idle would jump from around 800 to almost 1500rpm and go back down again. This also happened at traffic lights and the jump in rpm made me move forward and almost hit the car infront of me, then next I would be at a stop light and my truck would just die (stall) I would try to restart and it would just crank, I used starting fluid to start it back up and get it across the street to park it and check things out, I would press down the inertia and switch around relays but nothing seemed to work, I could hear the fuel pump although. After this happened a few times I dug into some fourns and found it could be and I found info on replacing the CPS so I did that with some one from autozone for $55ish everything worked fine for a month but then my truck broke down at 1am leaving my job, I did everything, tried starting fluid, pressed inertia switch, disconnected battery for a little bit, unplugged MAF, etc. but it just wouldn’t start. And no codes where being thrown it only had one code (p0447) which is an emissions code I’ve had for awhile. So I gave up because it was late and just got a recovery home, the next morning I ordered a Bosch CPS for $75 or something, I installed it and the truck started right up, I had codes (P1884)(P0447) (P0102) (P0112) and im guessing they’re all related to having the MAF unplugged and having the intake off the throttle body, I cleared codes and none came back (p0447 eventually came back) it worked fine for 3 days until I drive it home and infront of my house it stalled before I put it in park, I turned off the ignition took the key out and wait about 5 mins and put the key back In and it started. Then it worked fine 3 days after that then I had a rev spike again. I’m using my other car for now and I’ve been using the Rover to run to the store and short trips just to “test” it, if anyone has any recommendations it helps a lot I’m just trying to drive my baby again, thank you!

Old 04-25-2019, 11:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I wish I could tell you exactly what/where it is but I haven't had your issue myself so I don't know. I do know from doing a search that it's another pita emissions issue that you're gonna have to fish around to figure out what the cause is. I'm doing the same with a p0440 that is making me nutz. p0447 pertains to the EVAP cannister vent solenoid/valve. Hopefully someone else who's had the same issue can expound on this. Good luck, plz let us know how you make out so it can help others.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:51 PM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

dunno about the disco in particular, but idle spikes are often caused by vacuum leaks on other vehicles.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mollusc
dunno about the disco in particular, but idle spikes are often caused by vacuum leaks on other vehicles.
From what it sounds like, this issue can cause what would seem like a vacuum leak but doesn't it seem cyclical? Like the EVAP system keeps trying to work but can't?

Old 04-25-2019, 02:12 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by wjsj69
I wish I could tell you exactly what/where it is but I haven't had your issue myself so I don't know. I do know from doing a search that it's another pita emissions issue that you're gonna have to fish around to figure out what the cause is. I'm doing the same with a p0440 that is making me nutz. p0447 pertains to the EVAP cannister vent solenoid/valve. Hopefully someone else who's had the same issue can expound on this. Good luck, plz let us know how you make out so it can help others.
i have replaced the “purge valve canister” already, I replaced with the Hyundai one that is the same, that was supposed to be what that code was talking about but it didn’t do anything for me, I starting to think it might be fuel pressure problems? Maybe the pump is weak and when it doesn’t have enough fuel pressure the engine spikes to pull more fuel? I don’t want to have to take the intake manifold off to access the fuel pressure shradder. I will keep up with updates and any other advice or troubleshooting would help thank you

Old 04-25-2019, 02:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Right, the purge valve is part of the system, and it could be a fuel pressure problem, but I would think it would throw a different code if it was. There are other components in the EVAP system that may or may not be the culprit. I'm just not experienced enough which direction to point you. Anyone else?? At this age, a fuel pump is not a bad part to throw at it, so I won't discourage you. There is also a sensor on the fuel pump that is part of the same system, I just don't know if that alone could cause your issue.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:03 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by wjsj69
Right, the purge valve is part of the system, and it could be a fuel pressure problem, but I would think it would throw a different code if it was. There are other components in the EVAP system that may or may not be the culprit. I'm just not experienced enough which direction to point you. Anyone else?? At this age, a fuel pump is not a bad part to throw at it, so I won't discourage you. There is also a sensor on the fuel pump that is part of the same system, I just don't know if that alone could cause your issue.
yes I might just end up doing that, the previous owner was a Land Rover service tech and he bought this off an accountant in 05 (making me 3rd owner) so it’s body and wiring is very clean and all maintenance was kept up just the problem is there is no paper work because the previous owner technically “stole” the parts he needed, but I’ll do more digging around