Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 left for dead this morning... fuel pump? bad gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 07:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

X2 on what dgi 07 asked. Do you have fuel pressure?
When you turn the key on, can you hear the pump run for a second? If not, you should check for power and ground at the pump connector. If you can hear it running, then I would check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve. If you don't have a pressure gauge, you can just depress the valve and see if fuel sprays out of it. If there is pressure in there it should spray out, not just dribble out.
Good luck.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

It Might be a long shot, but I had a very similar problem with my '01 Mustang a few months back. The fuel pump died and did exactly what you're talking about. We later found out that when the fuel pump died, it sent electrical feedback back to the ECU and fried it too. Just a guess, I don't know if there are systems in place on a Disco to prevent that from happening.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V

The valve for testing fuel pressure is indeed at the back of the upper intake and while I have never had to test my fuel pressure I have often stared at the valve and thought what a cluster F it would be to try to get to it.
LOL! They are nice enough to give you a schrader valve to check fuel pressure, but not nice enough to make it easy to get to.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
LOL! They are nice enough to give you a schrader valve to check fuel pressure, but not nice enough to make it easy to get to.
Right. And put it next to the other impossible to reach system: the coils. What a bunch of monkeys.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Camel Trophy

The OP clearly knows how to keep his Disco going with 190k on the clock and recent work done, and being aware of that I don't mean any offense by suggesting something so simple: press the inertial switch on the passenger side firewall. It also interrupts the fuel supply, but it should flash your hazards, too.

For what it is worth, family members of mine (not me!) have run my Disco dry of fuel and cranked it until the battery died, and I just recently replaced my 15 year old fuel pump for unrelated reasons (developed a leak that JB Weld couldn't fix).

Also, as the OP surely knows, the Crank Position Sensor has to have the washers in the right position or it won't work, and that solves a lot of fuel delivery problems on the forum. But since the original CPS was fine, that shouldn't be the issue.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The OP clearly knows how to keep his Disco going with 190k on the clock
... HER Disco going...

I have checked the inertia switch. It meters out good and changes state when tripped / reset.

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but while pressing the schraeder valve, no fuel comes out of the pipe. I have not tried this while cranking. The pump doesn't prime with the key. The fuel pump relay doesn't get picked. I have to jump out the relay and send power to the pump manually to get the pump to run,so I'm thinking either the CPS I put in was bad or the ECM isn't sending an output to the fuel pump relay.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by j.dstasio
... HER Disco going...

I have checked the inertia switch. It meters out good and changes state when tripped / reset.

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but while pressing the schraeder valve, no fuel comes out of the pipe. I have not tried this while cranking. The pump doesn't prime with the key. The fuel pump relay doesn't get picked. I have to jump out the relay and send power to the pump manually to get the pump to run,so I'm thinking either the CPS I put in was bad or the ECM isn't sending an output to the fuel pump relay.
Sorry ma'am!!! Hahaha. My bad. I am old and therefore make assumptions.

I'd say you are on the right track. If the fuel pump has been replaced recently was that done by cutting the carpet or doing the whole pull of the carpet routine? Hoping for the latter.

Really the ecu, CPS and inertial switch are your suspects. I'd check that CPS again. Also you might want to blow out the connector with some electronics cleaner (spray can).

Old 08-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Mudding

Sorry ma'am!!! Hahaha. My bad. I am old and therefore make assumptions.

I'd say you are on the right track. If the fuel pump has been replaced recently was that done by cutting the carpet or doing the whole pull of the carpet routine? Hoping for the latter.

Really the ecu, CPS and inertial switch are your suspects. I'd check that CPS again. Also you might want to blow out the connector with some electronics cleaner (spray can).
No worries. It's to be expected on a LR forum I suppose. I am going to check the connector and hit it with some contact cleaner.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by j.dstasio
No worries. It's to be expected on a LR forum I suppose. I am going to check the connector and hit it with some contact cleaner.
Before you do, swap out the relay.

A reading for fuel pressure would be ideal, but we work with what we have.

If I'm reading this correctly, you get the pump to run when you jumper it. I can only assume you are using the terminals at the relay box. Try swapping the relays and see if you are getting power. Relays do fail often enough. If not. The next step past the relay would be ECU, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by dgi 07; 08-30-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:13 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Before you do, swap out the relay.

A reading for fuel pressure would be ideal, but we work with what we have.

If I'm reading this correctly, you get the pump to run when you jumper it. I can only assume you are using the terminals at the relay box. Try swapping the relays and see if you are getting power. Relays do fail often enough. If not. The next step past the relay would be ECU, if I'm not mistaken.
I've swapped the fuel pump relay and tested the coil on it. I didn't check the main relay. It looks like it gets signal from the ECU and trips the fuel pump relay. I kept looking for "R100" per the circuit diagram, and I couldn't find it. Found it with the RAVE CD last night. Going to check it also. Thanks.

Quick Reply: D2 left for dead this morning... fuel pump? bad gas?