Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is D2 for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CarParter
^
That's a really sick truck. Thanks for all the information. BTW, what set of tires are you running?

I found one on sale in my town; it's not D2 but it's cheap. Is it a lemon though?
https://lubbock.craigslist.org/cto/6177385977.html

My guy at the shop said it's 1k for compete new paint.
The tires I am currently running are General Grabber 255/60/r18 but I wouldn't recommend them. They don't last very long (~25,000 miles) and don't have very good sidewall protection. They are great in mud and on rocks though. Just very expensive at around $220 per tire. I would recommend finding a set of 16 inch land rover wheels before buying new tires. It will cut your bill in half for new tires.

As for the one you found on craigslist, I don't know anything about discovery 1's except for them being very simplistic vehicles. They are very easy to work on. However, it probably isn't the best option for you. You would be spending more for new paint than the entire car.

Happy searching!

Old 06-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I've got a 1 out of 150 D2 Kalahari & it will one day be worth something to a LR collector as everyday there are less and less orignal Kalahari's on the road. I've modified it, but I've kept all the Kalahari bits. I paid 4,500.00 for it, and it was worth every penny.

Reliability has 150% with how it's been treated. I've had new/used LR's with a 0% left me on the side of the road failure rate. I've had an alternator die, and I made it home, a coolant hose pop off, and even an axle shaft snap off-roading, but I made it home vs both my 05 Wranglers that loved to live in an Auto Zone parking lot, on the side of the road or at the dealership......

Get some basic hand tools, a good scanner icarsoft LR2 is great, a scangauge II or ultragauge, then find the best running D2 you can find, and go from there. Don't worry about interior bits or cosmetic. Go for mechanically sound.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:26 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

After owning mine for almost 6 years I wouldn't recommend a D2 to anyone. I think a Nissan Xterra would be way more economical and is better off road.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:35 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are still looking, I would recommend this one. Drives really nice.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/6175165614.html

A sell from an indy rover shop owner, a really stand up guy.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Stop....Rover time
I don't have any advice. Just wanted to show you my sexy rover to tip the scales a bit.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You can be as diligent as you possibly can buying a D2 and at this point and age of these vehicles it's a complete crap-shoot. One thing is for sure get a AAA plan if you plan on taking long road trips I am sure it will pay for it self. Best way to explain my D2... it's like a love hate relationship. It's kinda like having a the hot girlfriend that's a rocket but also a bitch at the same time. You can't have it all...

Old 07-03-2017, 07:51 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Stop....Rover time
I don't have any advice. Just wanted to show you my sexy rover to tip the scales a bit.
Bimmer wheels! Interesting.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Best4x4 and myself have near identical opinions on these things. If you get a good one and maintain it to a tee then they'll be as reliable as anything. You do have to maintain them right, though, and that's something that you have to learn how to do on your own. You have to have a keen ear for odd noises and a keen feel for anything that feels a little off when you're driving her.

Its an advantage for you that they're honestly super easy to work on. When I got mine I barely knew how to change my own oil. I couldn't have changed my spark plugs on my own. I daily drove it for three years and I could have changed head gaskets in a random parking lot at the drop of a hat. If you have the will you will learn how to work on it and parts aren't too expensive.

I vote you find one in good condition for 3500ish, dump 1500 into it immediately to make sure everything is up to date (oil pump, timing chain, new radiator, hoses, thermostat, front driveshaft, crank position sensor, ALL fluids) and save the rest for any repairs that crop up. Also buy a AAA membership at least until you kinda know what you're doing. Long trips are honestly pretty easy on vehicles, way easier than daily driving and commuting, but there's still a chance of needing it and its not too expensive.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:21 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys have been awesome, very good suggestions! I read them all and I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

I bet D2 would be awesome on snow

My current search is on hold pending my return to my town; currently interning for an oil company. I definitely want to replace my current daily as soon as I get back, and D2 is one of my first choices due to its minimal depreciation. Another contender is the Ford Crown Vic w/ police package but it's a whole different beast than D2.

Maintenance wise, I think I can handle. My friend owns a repair shop plus I also have a good tool set (I scour junkyards to remove parts for extra $)

Old 07-07-2017, 06:17 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Soneone on the east coast found a Westminster. Maybe he'd flip it to you.

If you saw one at a junkyard or auction someone scrapped due to a head gasket. You could have your buddy drop in a new engine in your budget.