Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is D2 for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
this was a good decision. If u are going to tackle a project, find one that is not running, and drop a long block in from turner, toddco etc. Have your friends shop do the work.

Have you checked with salvage sites?
When you say long block from turner/toddco, are we talking engine replacement? What would be the specs/hp from a replacement engine?

I am still searching but it has been fruitless so far.

Ideally I want a D2 with ~70-80k miles tops and full running condition. Maintenance records are always a plus too. And I would be definitely getting a pre-purchase inspection at the LR dealership before I buy any used car.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:48 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

the only problem with a 70 to 80k mile Disco is that that is right before everything goes bad. like head gaskets, etc. The only thing you'd be guaranteeing is that your the first to do all the needed maintenance and the HG's. For the same price you can get one with a few more miles that has had those things ($$$) done

Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by CarParter
When you say long block from turner/toddco, are we talking engine replacement? What would be the specs/hp from a replacement engine?

I am still searching but it has been fruitless so far.

Ideally I want a D2 with ~70-80k miles tops and full running condition. Maintenance records are always a plus too. And I would be definitely getting a pre-purchase inspection at the LR dealership before I buy any used car.
https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/Mobile/

http://store.toddcosuspensions.com/landrover50ho.html

They are going to make you pay big time for a truck with that low of miles, and not a bad option if you find one. Personally, I would rather a new engine with no miles.

You have a friend with a shop to bolt it in, heck put on some headers high flow cats, and there will be a lot of jealous guys on here.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:55 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dave03S
the only problem with a 70 to 80k mile Disco is that that is right before everything goes bad. like head gaskets, etc. The only thing you'd be guaranteeing is that your the first to do all the needed maintenance and the HG's. For the same price you can get one with a few more miles that has had those things ($$$) done
ah I see now. That's a good point.

With my budget (8-10k) it would be better to buy one for 3-4k and then spend the rest on fixing and modifying to my liking. Makes sense

Old 07-13-2017, 08:59 PM
Mudding
Unhappy

Originally Posted by CollieRover
https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/Mobile/

Land Rover 5.0HO

They are going to make you pay big time for a truck with that low of miles, and not a bad option if you find one. Personally, I would rather a new engine with no miles.

You have a friend with a shop to bolt it in, heck put on some headers high flow cats, and there will be a lot of jealous guys on here.
Thanks for the link

Got a question though; does this replacement engine eliminate all HG issues? So is it fair to say that the car would be more reliable with such engine?

I would be definitely modifying the car in terms of performance and cosmetics. My current daily has a nasty hail damage and I've been saving up massively for a little under a year (which was really really tough to do as a college student with no consistent source of income) to get a good vehicle. I am in love with D2s and it's what I want. Plus LR has a very sentimental value to my family as well; it was the first car that my dad owned back in 2000 (98 D1) until it was wrecked by my inadequate uncle

Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

It would definitely be more reliable. I would say as long as you keep her cool you won't have any HG issues and you could have your internal performance changes made at the same time. Turner offers an upgraded cam as well as bench flowed heads. Its the same cam that I have (love it) and I have my heads and intake ported and polished, but the bench flowed heads would be even better.

I can second the headers, 2.5" y-pipe, high flow cats, and 3" [custom] catback with muffler of choice. They give a small but definite power bump. You can do a better flowing intake, too, if you check out the link in my signature.

I agree that looking for one in the 70-80k range is a poor choice. I personally wouldn't buy one with less than 110k and if I had it to do again I'd get one in otherwise good shape with a bad engine. I'd put a turner long block in it with a completely new cooling system including the inline thermostat mod as well as the mods mentioned above. At the same time I would replace the MAF sensor, CKP (Crankshaft Position) Sensor, rebuilt injectors, and front O2 sensors. That would give you a SUPER solid truck for a long time.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by CarParter
Thanks for the link

Got a question though; does this replacement engine eliminate all HG issues? So is it fair to say that the car would be more reliable with such engine?

I would be definitely modifying the car in terms of performance and cosmetics. My current daily has a nasty hail damage and I've been saving up massively for a little under a year (which was really really tough to do as a college student with no consistent source of income) to get a good vehicle. I am in love with D2s and it's what I want. Plus LR has a very sentimental value to my family as well; it was the first car that my dad owned back in 2000 (98 D1) until it was wrecked by my inadequate uncle
The new engine would have Iron Flanged liners which would eliminate the slipped liner issue. Frankly, that is a huge weak spot and my original engine had a nasty knock. That alone would put me off an original block. It is a big upgrade over stock to simply have those liners.

As Alex M mentioned the Cooling system, and I would add the driveshaft will be critical, too. You'll want to upgrade those at the same time.

One thing you really have going is patience. You also do some car parting on the side, so when you go to these junkyards ask them if they ever see DII's. Or to give you a heads up is they do. There are salvage sites online, too. On Craig;s List you will see D2's people give up on.

You just have to have an OBDII tool, probably one that does ABS, a good battery possibly, though a junkyard would have a bunch, so you can read codes. Take a good look at the drive train, and how much life is on the brakes, interior condition, etc.

With an upgraded engine like I linked, you will be way happier with performance from stock. It's summer, grab a job where you can make some extra cash and take your time. If you want this vehicle long term I would HIGHLY recommend the new engine, because it has to be done eventually.

I need to add, too, that Trailhead 4x4 is doing LS swaps in Ohio. They may be able to source a truck as well. Who knows what that would cost, but you'd have a solid, solid vehicle.

Last edited by CollieRover; 07-14-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_M
It would definitely be more reliable. I would say as long as you keep her cool you won't have any HG issues and you could have your internal performance changes made at the same time. Turner offers an upgraded cam as well as bench flowed heads. Its the same cam that I have (love it) and I have my heads and intake ported and polished, but the bench flowed heads would be even better.

I can second the headers, 2.5" y-pipe, high flow cats, and 3" [custom] catback with muffler of choice. They give a small but definite power bump. You can do a better flowing intake, too, if you check out the link in my signature.

I agree that looking for one in the 70-80k range is a poor choice. I personally wouldn't buy one with less than 110k and if I had it to do again I'd get one in otherwise good shape with a bad engine. I'd put a turner long block in it with a completely new cooling system including the inline thermostat mod as well as the mods mentioned above. At the same time I would replace the MAF sensor, CKP (Crankshaft Position) Sensor, rebuilt injectors, and front O2 sensors. That would give you a SUPER solid truck for a long time.
I agree with Alex obviously. I also have an electric fan, and would recommend that as well. I have the setup from an '05 GTO I trimmed to fit the radiator, but Alex has a set up, and others do with other fans. The reduced drag on the engine is noticable, and if this is done right, I think a really great mod. Although, not critical like a reliable cooling system overall, and good driveshafts.