Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 problem after alternator died

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 problem after alternator died

a few months back my alternator died, i replaced the battery while i was out it got me back home where it has been sitting ever since as i drove another one of our vehicles until i got the time to fix it, today i went out because i finally found the $250 for the alternator, but before i ent to buy it i decided to charge the battery and try to start it, the battery has been charged and the D2 cranks over however now it will not start, when i got home that day i replaced the battery i started it many times to move around some trailers out of the driveway then parked it it started just fine with a bad alternator all day that day and the next morning when i moved it, i am curious now before i go spend $250 on this alternato if there is something im missing as to why now after the battery died and has been recharged it wont start, the M & D light on the dash blink for limp mode and i have also tried the locking and unlocking of the drivers door, still it just cranks and cranks but will not start is there anything else i am unaware if that i should try? thanks in advance for your help

Old 05-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Do you have an alarm key fob? Try activating the alarm with a full battery, then unlock with alarm fib then try to start.

If that doesn't work, since you know you need an alternator, you might as well buy one and see if it fixes the problem.

$250 sounds steep. I sell used with 30 day warranty for $50 shipped.

If once you change the alternator and confirm battery is good, you might have an immobilized issue and would need a Land Rover specific computer to reset.

That's my guess

Old 05-08-2015, 05:41 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

try this guy I have bought a few from him california_alternator_starter
100 New Alternator for Land Rover Discovery II 2 Generator 130A One yr Warranty | eBay

Old 05-09-2015, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Do you have an alarm key fob? Try activating the alarm with a full battery, then unlock with alarm fib then try to start.

If that doesn't work, since you know you need an alternator, you might as well buy one and see if it fixes the problem.

$250 sounds steep. I sell used with 30 day warranty for $50 shipped.

If once you change the alternator and confirm battery is good, you might have an immobilized issue and would need a Land Rover specific computer to reset.

That's my guess
i do have the key Fob that used to have 2 buttons on it, however its so old the buttons have fell out and it no longer works, i tried with the key itself multiple times, could you possibly provide more information on this immobilizer i've googled it but not found much on it i would like to try to bypass it and get this thing started before i go pending fortune ont he alternator

Old 05-09-2015, 12:22 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

As said, you know that you need an alternator, so why not buy that first and see if that fixes the problem?

Your cars computer can go into an immobilized state based on it thinking someone has tried to steal it. The only way to fix this issue is with a Land Rover specific computer- T4, Autologic, hawkeye, Nanocom, etc.