Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 swap back to air ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 02:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
Default D2 swap back to air ride

has anybody swapped to coils springs and then swapped back to air ride? I've been thinking about it to help with the towing and smoother ride in the rear. I know the coils won't fail like the airbags will but I've been thinking about it seriously and was trying to figure what all it what entail. The previous owner is the one that swapped to coils on the rear and it still has the air compressor and rear lift sensors. I would have to have it turned back on computer wise and run new air lines and put on air bags but what else? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Jason

Old 05-25-2017, 05:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If the compressor has been dormant for a while it may take a little more than that to get it working again, especially if the lines weren't sealed properly.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:46 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

IMHO air suspension at the back is far superior to springs especially when towing and on highways. It is far more comfortable for everyone in the cab.

For the compressor there is an aftermarket kit available to renovate the piston ring, seals and O rings. It's a real doddle to renovate.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

"IMHO air suspension at the back is far superior to springs especially when towing and on highways. It is far more comfortable for everyone in the cab." AND FAR MORE EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN OVER TIME. YOU NEED TO DECIDE: HIGH COST COMFORT VS MUCH LOWER COST COILS OVER TIME.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by earlyrover
"IMHO air suspension at the back is far superior to springs especially when towing and on highways. It is far more comfortable for everyone in the cab." AND FAR MORE EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN OVER TIME. YOU NEED TO DECIDE: HIGH COST COMFORT VS MUCH LOWER COST COILS OVER TIME.
My air suspension has never failed on my 2003 in 14 years and 140K miles. I replaced the rear air suspension 2+ years ago, cost £100 and 2 hours work, RAVE reckons replacement every 10 years. To install the compressor refurb: kit took me 2 hours and £25 so IMHO it's not at all expensive to run air suspension provided one maintains the air drier and intake filter.

How much cost to convert to springs and reprogram the SLABS and how long do they last before they get 'tired' and need replacing?

Old 05-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Rock Crawling

I found the compressor still in the bracket under my Disco last time I was under there. Seriously considering rebuilding it and rigging it to do tire inflation duties.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mskembo
I found the compressor still in the bracket under my Disco last time I was under there. Seriously considering rebuilding it and rigging it to do tire inflation duties.
It's been tried before, it failed as it's not suitable for the job. Cheaper to buy a custom tyre inflation compressor and plug it into the load area socket.

Check the search area here and dig up the thread about it 2-4 years ago.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Pro Wrench

Yea I've noticed the rebuild kit for the compressor and the air springs aren't bad priced and I can still do a lift. I'm just wondering how to do the air lines and what size

Old 05-28-2017, 07:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Cheaper to buy a custom tyre inflation compressor and plug it into the load area socket.
I'll check it out. I think I'd rather mount it in the engine bay if that's the case though. The load area has jump seats and we use them quite often.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Pro Wrench

Well while I was rebuilding the rear drive shaft and replacing to rotoflex, I noticed the air lines for the rear air suspension was still in place. Looks like it might be a bit easier than I thought. I'm still gonna buy the rebuild kit to make sure the pump works fines

Quick Reply: D2 swap back to air ride