Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangit!! Stripped bolt while removing water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangit!! Stripped bolt while removing water pump

Gents, I've managed to strip the head of one of the bolts holding my water pump in. As you can see from the picture, it's one of lower 10MM bolts, just to the left of the pulley. Not much room there to work.

What tool do I need to purchase in order to get this bolt off? If calling is easier, I'm at 339.293.9352.

Picture on its way.

Here are the pics:

Attached Thumbnails Dangit!! Stripped bolt while removing water pump-img_0733%5B1%5D.jpg   Dangit!! Stripped bolt while removing water pump-img_0732%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by steveo2000; 12-15-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

no pix. Right angle drill and easy outs? Or take off entire front cover leaving some of that stud still exposed so you can grab it with vise grips etc. May have to remove radiator to get some extra room. Or parts store for one of their highly prized and seldom used tools. Obviously, if there is something still sticking out that gives you something to work with, along with Deep Creep or PB Blaster, maybe even some heat. Relax, you'll have it back together by Christmas.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Relax, you'll have it back together by Christmas.
Not funny! :-) I'm trying to get this back together before sundown. Just put the pics up. What are one of those highly-prized/seldom-used tools that you referred to? What are they/is it called? I'm ready to head to Sears. I don't mind a few esoteric tools in my toolkit. I've got tons of them, now! Stuff my Dad used when he was alive.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get you a torch and heat the head of that bolt hot it will soften up enough to beat a smaller socket or wrench on to it. Then give it a little cool down time and try to take it out, remember as you heat and soften the metal that to much force will snap or twist the head off the bolt so be gentle and take your time. If you do twist the head off the atleast you will be able to get the pump off and then get a grip on the stud itself with some vise grips and turn it out if there! If infact you do break it off let me know and u will send you a replacement bolt if you can wait or if not go to hardware store to match up a new bolt. Good luck and happy holidays my friend!!!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Three Wheeling

lr2001silver, the torch/3/8" socket did the trick! Sadly, I realized once I got the water pump off, that it wasn't my problem....I'm officially in head gasket Hell. Thanks for your help, bro!

--Steve

Old 12-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by steveo2000
Not funny! :-) I'm trying to get this back together before sundown. Just put the pics up. What are one of those highly-prized/seldom-used tools that you referred to? What are they/is it called? I'm ready to head to Sears. I don't mind a few esoteric tools in my toolkit. I've got tons of them, now! Stuff my Dad used when he was alive.
Oh just wait the real fun beings when you try to get the old gasket off from the timing cover. Our pump came off with 95% of the gasket left behind on the timing cover.

We spent a day and three different gasket removers only to give up on the chemicals and carefully used a razor blade.

The viscous fan needs to be replaced at the same time if this was not done recently as the the pump and fan go hand in hand over the cliff.

2003 Discovery 131K with all high miles service complete.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by borchera
Oh just wait the real fun beings when you try to get the old gasket off from the timing cover. Our pump came off with 95% of the gasket left behind on the timing cover.

We spent a day and three different gasket removers only to give up on the chemicals and carefully used a razor blade.

The viscous fan needs to be replaced at the same time if this was not done recently as the the pump and fan go hand in hand over the cliff.

2003 Discovery 131K with all high miles service complete.
That wasn't so bad, actually. I had put a cheap pump in a little over a year ago, and I did the painstaking thing that you did, back then. I used a plastic putty knife, which did the trick, while preserving the face of the timing cover. As a last resort before conceding to doing the HGs, I swapped out the pump for a better one. Sadly, no dice. I'm about to start posting (read: begging for help) about HG swap on my D2.

Thanks ,
Steve