Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead front wipers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead front wipers.

I did a brief search but didn't find anything with identical symptoms or the issues weren't resolved.

We had our first ice and snow accumulation of the year over night.

Anyway, after letting my Disco warm up a few minutes (and ensuring that the wiper blades weren't stuck), I tried to use the wipers to remove the 1/2" of slush on the windshield. No joy.

I didn't have too much time to play with it before coming to work, but the front wiper blades didn't come on at any speed. I can hear a clicking sound each time that it should come on, but it's not engaging at the wipers.

The rear wiper works fine and, interestingly enough, the "spray and wash" button causes the front blades to swipe as normal. The mist feature on the wiper switch doesn't cause them to work, though.

After leaving it on while driving to work, there was still no movement. However, the instant I turned the switch back to off they swept the windscreen once.

This was also the first time it's been "homeless" overnight in the cold. It's typically garaged but I let my fiance have it so that she wouldn't need to scrape the ice this AM. I wonder if the low temperature has something to do with it?

Any suggestions welcome.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Dead front wipers.

I have heard of this problem before and if I remember right it was the wiper multi function switch. For some reason the cold affects it. New switch and all is good.
I think that I would investigate this more first though.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am leaning toward the switch as well, as this has been the main cause of other similar issues. I have had numerous Disco II's where, when operating the flick wipe, The wipers will stop at various spots during its travel and resume then park. Once the I warmed the switch up a bit, the wipers work normal, cool it down with canned refridgerant and they fault out. Check all fuses just to be sure, then I would opt for a wiper switch.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Whatever the cure, never expect the wipers to clear that much weight and don't let you engine just sit there and idle, just to warm it up, that is really hard on it. Start you engine and go with 30 seconds or you will just foul out your oil.