Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead head unit!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Dead head unit!

My radio decided to die on me. I checked the fuses on the radio and under the panel. I found a replacement. I have the harman kardon premium system. Will this upgraded replacement work in place of my radio part number XQD101390LNF.

I know its the head unit because my tape player was acting up and switching from side 1 and 2 and the display was flickering. Now it wont turn on.

I kinda want to upgrade anyway! will this work?

https://jet.com/product/2001-02-Land...RoCn48QAvD_BwE

Old 07-11-2018, 05:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Why dont you just keep the same radio and buy one that works like from a upullit? Junkyard? It shouldnt cost more than a couple bucks. I can get one for about $20

Old 07-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Well it is the same unit I have except it has a auxiliary port which I’d love to have! Plus it’s built with new parts during remanufacturing so no repeat failures from age.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

For that money or close to it you could have a used head unit and add a GROM Audio Bluetooth so that instead of plugging in with a cable you'd have Bluetooth connectivity.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:38 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mln01
For that money or close to it you could have a used head unit and add a GROM Audio Bluetooth so that instead of plugging in with a cable you'd have Bluetooth connectivity.

True but i heard I’ll lose my cd changer function and I love my cds though. My thing is with these head units running 100-200 dollars, even used I’d rather have mines repaired with new parts instead of getting a used one with a circuit board of something that might burn out again. I plan to drive my rover till the wheels fall off! I’d rather have it remanufactured by 1factory radio with Bluetooth! I’m just curious does the price include parts or am I missing something? I’d rather not worry for another 20 years if I can stand it. Mines got hot and decided to take a dukey on the carpet! Plus isn’t Bluetooth lossy though? I love my sound quality! I was thinking of going with the wired so I can use my soon to be bought high fedelity audio player! Can’t beat physical connections. Plus is there a way to recone my midranges. I’ve got the Harman kardon once again.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:48 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jamie2333

True but i heard I’ll lose my cd changer function and I love my cds though. My thing is with these head units running 100-200 dollars, even used I’d rather have mines repaired with new parts instead of getting a used one with a circuit board of something that might burn out again. I plan to drive my rover till the wheels fall off! I’d rather have it remanufactured by 1factory radio with Bluetooth! I’m just curious does the price include parts or am I missing something? I’d rather not worry for another 20 years if I can stand it. Mines got hot and decided to take a dukey on the carpet! Plus isn’t Bluetooth lossy though? I love my sound quality! I was thinking of going with the wired so I can use my soon to be bought high fedelity audio player! Can’t beat physical connections. Plus is there a way to recone my midranges. I’ve got the Harman kardon once again.

plus I’ve got to replace my subwoofers in the tail door. I’m going with dual coil 8 ohm subs. Less work on the amplifier. I found some 45 ohm midrange 4 inches. My theory is as far as the midrange is that with a higher impedance I’m gaining some fedility and efficiency. These speakers are rated at 6 watts but the channel is running at 16-32 on the rovers from what I’ve researched. With the the higher inpendence I may lose sound pressure level but because I’m putting more power to the driver I’m compensating for the loss coming out equal. My guess is that heat wise I’m getting the same or greater quality sound but I’m creating less heat with the amp compared to the 4 ohm factory midrange. Am I right to theorize this? I would think I’d have higher sensitivity on that speaker and the sound up front would fill out!

Old 07-12-2018, 06:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Sounds like you already have a good idea what you want.. go for it.