Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to do the headliner on my D1.....(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided to do the headliner on my D1.....(pics)

After seeing the D2 Headliner thread, I thought this would be an excellent weekend project.......as long as its a 3-4 day weekend. If you want to do this right, you'll need to take your time. Yes, you can still drive around without a headliner.

For basic headliner removal you can reference hilltoppersx D2 thread since removal is very similar to the D1: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26219

Ready to come out:

Removed:

Strip the old liner:

Liner stripped, ready to remove the foam:

Use a wire brush to remove the old foam(the most labor intensive part of the whole project):

Vacuum off all of the excess foam:

A wire brush on a drill will make it a bit easier to get the excess foam and glue off (I would recommend being careful on this part, as you may fray the fiber a bit in some areas):

I didn't dry or wet sand because I didn't feel it necessary so I prepped for primer:

Primed:

I attempted painting the headliner with no success. The paint just seemed to soak in:

I realized that I needed some kind of hard, paintable, non-bondo surface in order for the paint to stick. The reason why I didn't go with some type of auto bondo is because the headliner needs to be able to flex to be re-installed. I figured the bondo would be too hard and crack when the headliner was flexed for reinstallation. This is what I found and used:

I used 5-6 cans to completely cover the headliner. This gave me about 3 good coats of undercoating(overcoating, in this case ) If you're trying to coat the headliner enough to not be able to see any of the fibers, I would recommend a few more coats because I can still see them in a few areas.

I decided not to paint my headliner after doing the "overcoating", so I reinstalled it as is. If you're planning on painting it, I would think it would take a pretty good amount of primer depending on which color you're trying to cover it with.

I will post a picture of the finished product tomorrow, however it doesn't look all that disimilar from hilltopper's D2 headliner. I do still have the option to paint it in the future, however. Regardless, no more saggy headliner, ever!

If you're planning on fixing the sunroofs on your D1, I would recommend doing this project at the same time to save you from having to drop the headliner twice. I will be doing a write-up on D1 sunroof tech repair/rebuild very soon.

Last edited by BajaXJ92; 02-02-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I did the same thing, only after priming, I put black cloth back on. I spent about $60 on the whole thing. Mine didn't have a headliner in it when I got it and it stayed that way for a year while I searched for a good backer. The one I got was a little saggy in places and I still had to fiberglass the top and add some thin straps for rigidity. Tons better with the liner. I can remember ice forming on the inside of the roof on a trip to Chi town....

Thanks for the pics..

Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. How long did it take to remove the liner? Mines been sagging for a while and im getting tired of it.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Long Haul
Looks good. How long did it take to remove the liner? Mines been sagging for a while and im getting tired of it.
Since I've removed it twice now, once for sunroof repair/rebuild and then to repaint, it only takes me about 30-40mins to completely remove it and find a safe place for all of the screws that hold it in. When you remove it, I would recommend taping all of the screws that you remove to the parts/panels that you remove. Makes reinstallation a whole lot easier!

Old 05-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the info, going to attack mine tomorrow.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Winching

Forget about the headliner tell us something about that Porsche 914. It looks to be minty and i love the color and polished rims.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

To hell with the headliner......Tell us about that sexy 914!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hell Yes!

Originally Posted by buick215
Forget about the headliner tell us something about that Porsche 914. It looks to be minty and i love the color and polished rims.
That is one bad *** car..I dated a girl back in college who had one.. Loved that car... It was a 2.0l and that thing was fast..

Bro, It's $300.00 to have your headliner redone....It should out last your ownership..

Chris

Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Overlanding

Yeah, ripped mine out over the weekend and painted it. The only issue that I ran into was a bunch of mixed screws, some flat, some phillips, some stripped.

The old liner just pulled off and the foam came off with a nylon carpet brush. I gave it a couple of coats of primer, then hit it with tan spray paint, then a couple of coats of a tan stone finish.

Cost about $40 in paint.. but, it looks just like fabric!

..and the fumes are slowly going away.