Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a depressing disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a depressing disco 2

bought a used disco 2 to find out the used car dealer screwed me over!!! humming sound in my front left hub with a p1590 code and a misfire 8 two days after i bought it!!!! please any help to fix this will be deeply apreciated!!!! o by the way also found out someone pulled out the light bulb for the abs on the dashboard control panel......i got screwed!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

the 1590 code is related to the ABS. Wheel sensor on each hub. Hubs are expensive.

Misfire on 8 (or any of the other "end of the block" cylinders) may indicate a failing head gasket. Water passage thru gasket is thin at that point. Do you have any noise like water rushing thru pipes under the dash? That could be exhaust gas in coolant. A $50 chemical test can reveal. Other cause of misfires are usually fixed by plugs and new 8mm silicone high grade wires.

You may not have done a pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic. You may not have read the owner manual first and see that the bulbs come on for a 3 second test at start up. The owner manual and factory shop manual are a free download in links below. What you have is very common. People remove or paint over check engine, ABS, and a variety of other bulbs. They install two bottles of stopz leakz in the radiator (what is in the coolant bottle won't look "clear", but will have floating stuff in it); and they pour in a couple of bottles of high strength Lucas oil treatment to quiet down the motor. Just long enough to sell it. In the old days people put bannana peels and sawdust in manual transmissions to sell instead of repair cars.

You may not have much recourse with dealer, but that varies by state. One reason to negotiate an extended warranty.

Take a deep breath. Download the shop manual. Start on the problems. And the high miles service list in our tech area. Do not trust the heat gauge, above 50% is trouble. You will find that you are not alone, many members here buy a Disco because they are great vehicles, only to find out the previous owner missed a lot of things. Many of us DIY because the dealership charges huge prices. A good indy mechanic is good to know.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-19-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:22 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You're not the first a dealer or previous owner has gotten and you definantly won't be the last. My 04 checked out to be perfect when I bought it, so I traded in my Mazda rx8 for it. Two days later I changed the oil and had low oil light at hot idle, the oil I drained out came out like honey. Long story short I haven't had it 6 months and its getting a new motor.

The previous owner of my 99 removed the abs, hd, and tc lights so I can relate there. I've put over 40,000 miles on it without the lights and to me it hasn't been anything but nice to not have to worry about them.

I think your main concern right now should just be the misfire. I'm no expert there but there are plenty on here. I'm on my iPhone so I can't see if you've got your vehicle description in your signature. If not you need to let us know your year model and mileage. In the meantime KCCO.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Don't you have 30 days to return it if something like this goes wrong. I thought that was a new law as of a few years ago

Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The brake hub will need to be replaced, then if you are lucky and can find some one to clear the codes, that may be all that is needed for those 2 items.
What color are your plug wires, if grey they are the old factory wires and should be replaced along with your plugs.
How mechanical are you?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Administrator

You need a set of 8 mm Silicone wires like STI's or Magnacors, might check out British Parts of Utah for both of them.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Overlanding

disco mike, when i bought the vehicle they put in the cheap pep boy wires in it,,,the boot doesnt even cover the whole plug. do you also think it might be failing head gasket?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Administrator

If you want some help with this, send me your number and I'll call you this evening.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Three Wheeling

How much did you pay for it...that ultimately decides if you got "screwed" or not.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KindaGuitarded
How much did you pay for it...that ultimately decides if you got "screwed" or not.
I'm going to agree here...if you bought it cheap then you still made out because..hey...you bought a 10+ year old vehicle that had a few issues on standard wear parts. now if the sunroof flew off or steering wheel popped off that would be another story.

Quick Reply: a depressing disco 2