Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diadvantages to having a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Diadvantages to having a lift?

ORIGINAL: jkid

Nobody mentioned that a lift usually gives you poorer fuel economy.
Poorer gas mileage doesn't come from the lift but the larger tires and especially a roof rack if added.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: NWDiscoRover2004

Insurance rates go up
LR factory warrenty can be questioned
Wear & Tear on interior upholstery if you don't have running boards or a step ladder
And most noticable - Parking garages!

But it looks as it should with 2" lift and 31's...for sure!
Rover, per my old regional service rep, will not void out antthing as long as it is 2"s or less. They of course won't cover any of the lift componets either.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting reply Mike. I had it in my mind that I'd have to strap on the body armor and go to battle with LR if they denied warrenty on wheel Bearing, Hubs, Tie-rods etc. with above stock tires and lift.

Really the most noticable issue with the lift I noticed is the seats will have a lot of premature wear from sliding in and out of the vehicle. My parents are aging and I carry a step ladder so they can get in and out. It's quite commical when I need to drive them around.

Has anyone out therehad an experience where warrenty was deinied because of aftermarket lift?

Old 02-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

ORIGINAL: jkid

Nobody mentioned that a lift usually gives you poorer fuel economy.
Poorer gas mileage doesn't come from the lift but the larger tires and especially a roof rack if added.
I don't know. A big lift is going to expose most of the axle assembly, brakes etc.to the wind. Usually the axle and diff. are blocked by the bumperand don't effect anything too much.Technically it does add more surface area, but probably not that much. Probably similar to adding a roof rack.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:40 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you lift with the wrong springs they can sag very quickly.

You need to correct various angles, especially the swaybar link lengths or their efficiency is reduced and no matter what people tell you, you want good swaybars on-road.

If you choose the wrong shocks with the wrong valving you can get cornering bounce which is very disturbing.

The more you change the more little things you'll need to change. The best change if you're not in 'need' of a lift is to go with replacing your springs with good quality ones like say RTE 1"+ or so (which should give about 2") fix the swaybar link length, front disconnects are the easy way to do this then put your front links on the rear swaybar to correct that. The new quality springs will last longer, reduce roll and softness, and improve general handling. The larger debate is on which shocks to use. I used N108/N109's and I find them too soft on their rebound damping, and they're not adjustable in any way. Next will be Bilstein 7100's but with those comes a whole new host of issues.

In otherwords if you don't need the lift, put on good springs to replace the flimsy stock ones at the original height (since your stock ones will have sagged) and you'll probable love the results when combined with a stiffer than stock shock.