Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic Tools Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Have you checked for blown fuses?

How about oil in the ecu connector under the hood. (I have no idea if this would cause the problem you're having but it's a common issue for the td5 injector harness to get oil in it.)

Old 06-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I use an Autel MaxiDiag MD702 as I wanted to use it on other vehicles but it has limited functions on the LR. The only problems are Autel are franchised, their website downloading updates is rubbish and they are a PITA to deal with once you've paid over your money. The problem with Nanocom is they are only LR specific and although very good, probably the best for the D2, they are limited to the LR range. Whereas the Hawkeye is pretty comprehensive for LR's and can be used on other vehicles if you purchase additional codes which like all things, aren't cheap. It's a real quandary what to buy for the best alround use for the D2 and other vehicles without paying a small fortune for technology that'll be out of date in a year or two. Like many, the Autel reads and clears codes and reads live data but you cannot access or tweek anything or operate any LR function remotely as it is really just a passive code reader with live data reading ability. Would I buy one again? I very much doubt it having had some of the problems with this one and the Autel lack of response or interest in sorting out their website issues.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:38 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Have you checked for blown fuses?

How about oil in the ecu connector under the hood. (I have no idea if this would cause the problem you're having but it's a common issue for the td5 injector harness to get oil in it.)
I cleaned the oil red plug from the ECU and still nothing.
I do not know which fuses to check, but I'll check them all.
Maybe one is blown ...

To be sure to ask what the socket is in D2? OBD-II?
Maybe I'll buy another cable and the diagnostic program for the PC ...

Last edited by galahad; 06-12-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:34 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by galahad
He has D2, TD5, 1998, automat
and nanocom works with its engine,

but also other diagnostic computer can not connect with my D2 engine,
so I guess my engine is something wrong
Hi be aware as many tools are vehicle/type/zone specific and require additional vehicle codes to be purchased before they work. Typically, a reader for a TD5 in Europe may not read a TD5 in the US. I rune a TD5 export model which was originally designated for south America and had trouble with European code readers. I believe it's another money spinner for them.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:43 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi be aware as many tools are vehicle/type/zone specific and require additional vehicle codes to be purchased before they work. Typically, a reader for a TD5 in Europe may not read a TD5 in the US. I rune a TD5 export model which was originally designated for south America and had trouble with European code readers. I believe it's another money spinner for them.
Perhaps you're right.
Today I borrowed from a friend the USB cable from the plug to the OBD2, will install on the laptop program IDS Land Rover Jaguar and free time I'll try to get to the engine.