Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 11:56 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

9 times out of 10, it's a vacuum issue (leak, etc). Have you done any checking under the hood?

Old 09-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My cruise control hasnt worked since I bought my 01 less than a year ago. I have looked all over for a leak/cracked line but I can't find anything. There might be a chance I'm missing something though. Is there any possibility someone could highlight what needs to be checked in a picture of the engine bay?

Old 09-12-2016, 12:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 847 Likes on 617 Posts

If you have the RAVE search for the instructions to change the vacuum control unit. In my copy of the RAVE it's on page 393 of the PDF. The vacuum hose in question is marked with a number 1.

The following 2 users liked this post by mln01:
JUKE179r (12-06-2016), meat (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 02:09 PM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
If you have the RAVE search for the instructions to change the vacuum control unit. In my copy of the RAVE it's on page 393 of the PDF. The vacuum hose in question is marked with a number 1.
It's easy to pull the other end of that hose off the bottom of the vacuum pump unit and then suck on it. That's a pretty definitive way to check for leaks. The bellows should contract and pull the throttle cable.

I'm in the same situation as the OP. All vacuum hoses appear to be leak-free, and I bench-tested the operation of the vacuum pump which seemed satisfactory. Dash light comes on correctly but CC doesn't work. I'm leaning towards some kind of electrical issue that stops the pump from operating but I don't know what that might be.

The following users liked this post:
meat (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 02:26 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll have to check it out again when I get home.

One thing I remembered is the SET button on the steering wheels feels like it is broken.. like a PO pushed it forward and something snapped. It seems to work fine other than a some extra play when pushing forward. Pulling back on the button feels normal.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Mudding

If you're confident that there's no vacuum issue, it's probably worth spending an evening poring over the wiring diagrams in the RAVE to determine everything that interacts with the cruise control. As an example (not sure of applicability to Rover) on a previous vehicle, the brake pedal switch had 2 circuits, one for lights, shifter lock, etc and one solely used for cruise control. I had a bad connection on that side of the switch, and it was not allowing the CC to set, even though I could actually turn it on.

It's really not a complicated system, just need to make sure you understand the inputs and outputs. That information is all available in the RAVE/wiring diagrams.

meat (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

May also help...
Cruise control pump
The cruise control pump has three connections to the cruise control ECU. One connection
on a WU wire from pin C0239-11 supplies power directly to the pump. The control valve
solenoid and dump valve solenoid are connected to pin C0239-17 of the cruise control ECU
on a BY wire. The pump is earthed via pin C0239-7 of the cruise control ECU on a BR wire.
The dump valve solenoid is connected via header C0287 LHD/C0290 RHD on a GP wire to
the contacts of the brake pedal switch. In normal operation the coil of the dump valve is
earthed by the brake light circuit, via the contacts of the the brake pedal switch. When the
brake pedal is pressed power is supplied on the earth path of the dump valve solenoid.
When the voltage on each side of the coil of the dump valve solenoid is equalised, there is
no voltage drop across the solenoid. With no current flowing through the coil of the dump
valve solenoid, the solenoid is de-energised and the dump valve opens.
When the cruise control switch is on and vehicle speed is more than 28 mph (45km/h) and
less than 125 mph (201 km/h), the cruise control ECU supplies power to the pump and valve
solenoids. The earth paths for the pump and the control valve solenoid are switched as
required by the cruise control ECU to set and maintain vehicle speed.

JUKE179r (12-06-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 08:29 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the black pieces on the throttle cable is cracked/broken. Could this be my problem?

Old 09-17-2016, 09:33 AM
Mudding

Which part is broken? An actual photo may be more helpful. Is it the nut, the threaded guide tube, the boot, or ? The only black pieces that I can think of in that area are the long sleeve over the cable and the accordion boot on the other side. Both of these would be non-critical, but your image unfortunately doesn't indicate a specific piece.

Is it broken on the cable that leads to the accelerator or the one that leads to the CC? It COULD be your problem, but can't say for sure without more detail.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by squirt
An actual photo may be more helpful.
I'll take a photo of the piece tomorrow and post it.

Quick Reply: DII Cruise Control