Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII power steering gearbox question??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DII power steering gearbox question??

I am the proud owner of a '99 DII. Recently i've noticed some power steering fluid coming out from around the top nut on the gearbox. I called my rover dealer and asked if there was a rebuild kit for it or if they could do it.They told me that these gearboxes are not rebuildable and it would have to be replaced. So, for now I pulled the nut off ( being careful to not let the stud move), and put some silicone around it to stop the leak. The leak has stopped for now, but I would really like to fix it properly. Anybody know of a rebuild kit for this, or the best place to find one? I am fairly mech. inclined, Ihave access to a Ford dealership's shop and am not afraid to turn wrenches. I've already replaced the water pump, radiator, and all brakes.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: DII power steering gearbox question??

I am pretty sure the dealerwa right on this one, there are no kits that I am aware of. What you did should work.
How long has it been since you replaced the fluid, might want to consider that using Vavoline's synthetic power steering fluid and a bottle of Lucas additive to make the pump happy.
Mike

Old 01-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx for the advice, i'll do that today. What's the best way to drain that system? Also, my check engine light keeps coming on, my code reader keeps telling me that bank 1 and bank 2 are too lean. Could this be from one of the two clips being broken off at the top of my airboxthat clamp on theairflow sensor? I blew the sensor out w/low pressure air and light hasn't come back on yet, any experience with thisproblem?Thanks again for the infoMike... I do a lot of studying up on this site and you're one of the most knowledgeable rover guysi've seen, andi'm looking forward to learning a lot from you in the next few years. Jim inFL

Old 01-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Go to your favorite auto parts store buy the fluids and what I call a turkey baster, what mechanics used to use to remove battery acid fro a battery.
When you get ready to do the job, either send me your tel number by PM or call me and I'll walk you thru it.
Mike
mikeljacobs@comcast.net