Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII Transmission Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DII Transmission Replacement

I bought a second Discovery that had the front driveshaft fail and bust up the tranny housing. I'm using the workshop manual but I feel like I need more of a step by step spelled out. Can anyone here provide that? I have searched and read every thread I could find here but just haven't found a good write-up. I've got the crossmembers out, exhaust out, driveshaft out and I'm ready to move on to the meat of the project. I need to fully remove the tranny to swap it, obviously, but it doesnt seem like the workshop manual does that completely.

Anything you guys can do to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I had hoped to have it out so i can put the replacement in this weekend.

Russell

Old 04-28-2015, 09:20 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I can tell you how I remove a trans when I part out a car.

Remove interior tunnel center console to access top of transfer case. There is a single guide stud with a nut(11/16? I use a spark plug socket). Remove nut.

There are 4 more bolts holding t case to trans, remove. Disconnect brake cable and all electrical connections.

Unbolt trans and t case mounts, entire assembly will tilt back down(support with trans jack).

Wiggle t case towards back off of trans spline, be careful not to damage.

Once t case is off, move to trans. The only thing that mechanically mates trans and motor are 4 bolts on the torque converter. Front of rear lip of oil pan you can access these bolts through inspection hole, 13mm I think. Turn crank while looking for bolts, remove all 4.

Now with trans tilted down/back you can access bell housing bolts. Support trans with jack. Once all the bell housing bolts are free trans will fall from motor, so keep it supported. Detach shifter cable and electrical connections. Remove.

You might be able to remove trans from the motor and drop down and forward and leave the t case in place, but I never have.

I'm sure I forgot something, but that should get your wheels spinning.

The following users liked this post:
ZGPhoto (04-28-2015)