General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'02 Freelander Transmission valve body replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Freelander Transmission valve body replacement?

I'm posting here from the Freelander forum, where I named the problem incorrectly, to get more exposure. I'm hoping a LR mechanic reads this and is familiar with my problem.

My wife took in her Freelander last week to have the fuel pump recall done. While there they told her she needed to have the transmission valve body replaced, to the tune of $2200. I'm hoping for a less expensive alternative if, indeed, this is an issue.

After driving it for awhile the transmission display sometimes shows a flashing 'F-4' and hill descent control symbol, with an exclamation point. I do notice that the vehicle seems 'underpowered' when this happens, especially from a standing start. It seems like its starting out in third or fourth gear. Once up to speed, it seems to be driving normally until I have to stop again, or if I try to engage a 'kickdown,' which doesn't happen.

If I turn the vehicle off, even for a few seconds, all this goes away and the vehicle returns to regular driving behavior until the next time, which could be an hour or three or four days later.

If anyone familiar with this situation, please let me know what I'm in for or if there are any alternatives to replacing this expensive unit they're recommending.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:59 AM
Drifting

Well, I decided to give it a little wait so I can have the codes read when the warning signals show again. But it's been almost three weeks since the last episode of the symptoms I described, with nothing. Vehicle drives fine (I do love the way these SUVs drive and handle when they're working right).

I was told a 'P1748' code would signal a need to change the 2/4 brake solenoid on the transmission valve body. Apparently, that job is all that's needed in these cases, but the dealerships like to replace the whole valve body unit (obviously at much expense to the customer).

So, I've been driving the vehicle every day since, waiting for the codes to reappear. I've probably put 1000 miles on it with no incident, whatsoever. Hopefully, if the symptoms do come back, this is all it is and I won't have to spend $2200 replacing the entire unit, as the dealer wishes.

Anyway I hope this information can help somebody, even if I can't get any advice here. And I'll be sure to post my findings if there are any further developments.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 AM
Drifting

Well I took the vehicle to a local AAMCO transmission shop, just to get a second opinion before spending $2500 on this repair. They turned off the codes and kept my truck for two days, running diagnostics on it. One interesting thing was that the guy called me and asked if someone had worked on the vehicle, and I said that the dealer had. He told me that the valve body unit was disassembled. The dealer hadn't even put it back together. He thinks that's why I was getting the faults and corresponding codes.

They tested and tested the individual solenoids and the unit itself, finding absolutely nothing wrong with either. All components are working exactly as they should, according to this transmission shop.

I sure don't want to believe that the Land Rover folks were trying to pull a fast one on my wife. But it's been over a month. I've been driving it every day and there hasn't been a repeat of the code, fault or anything else since. Certainly I'll keep watching it, and I'll report back if there are any developments, but it seems that there's nothing wrong with this vehicle. The truck has never driven so beautifully.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Land Rover transmission replacement

Land Rover Freelanders have had transmission problems. Owners may be able to contact the manufacturer or seek reimbursement for repairs for premature failure.

Howard Gutman, Esq
230 Route, Suite 307
Flanders, NJ 07836
(973) 598-1980