Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disable or bypass alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default disable or bypass alarm?

Looking thru some old posts it seems I am not the only person with alarm problems! I have a 96 DI that won't start. The same time I noticed the door locks and alarm quit, leaving me to believe the start or ignition issue is alarm related. Trying to trouble shoot this, and nobody seems to have any suggestions. I would like to bypass the alarm to verify there are no other problems. The nearest tow is 3.5hrs, and pricy on a flatbed,,,,especially with an unknown problem.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! I am not sure where the alarm computer, grounds and relays. Any suggestions? Much much mucho appreciated!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: disable or bypass alarm?

Change the battery in your remote.

Will the truck turn over? It should regardless of alarm. The alarm acts on the fuel pump and coil, I believe. If it won't turn over, check your battery, go through all of your connections. Check all of your fuses.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Mudding

Try locking and unlocking your drivers door with the key, even with a dead battery the alarm can be deactivated with the door lock cylinder.

If you need an alarm ECU you are out of luck, it will requirea security relearn process at the dealer.
Its the small green ECU under your pass side dash,best to see it with the glove box dropped down,Only seen 1 or 2 ever fail.
bypassing it is a tough deal, wiring for it is veary complicated, would not suggest to go there.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Mudding

Bless you all for your suggestions! I have a good charge on the batt, 12 volts and turns over very strong. The fuel pump is energized, good psi at the fuel rail. The door lock trick did not work, and unfortunately the remote has been out for couple years. The doors no longer lock simultaneously with the key as a result of this problem. All fuses were checked both under dash and hood.
I have been guided towards the wire harness to check for bad grounds etc. Any other possible grounds to check? The affected area of water damage was the right side forward passenger carpet due to water leaking down the A pillar all the way to the floor. I did replace 3 bad relays (and the Emission Maintanence Reminder), all seem to click or energize now.
Tricky. Love the truck, New paint, headliner and lots of suspension etc.. Looks good in the driveway, but better out in the action! Love to get it back soon.
Can't tell you all how much I appreciate your imput and ideas!

Old 09-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Mudding

Any way to test the ECU? without a testbook?

Old 09-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

An autologic scanner will work I think. Call Atlantic British to find a shop that has one close to you. Otherwise, dealer.

Will it turn over?

I gather the central locking does not work? Check all of your door switches...

Do you have a worksop manual? go to rover-renovations.com and they will send you one for free....

Old 09-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Mudding

It turns over great, just no fire.The starter relay was one of the relays I had to replace.

I will take a look at the door swithces. I think the only one I have had problems with in the past is the front passenger side. That has been out for a while, well before the start problem.

You know, thinking of it, another gent on the forum made a comment that he found a yellow wire unpluggedlocated in theECU harness. I do have a wire unplugged too. It is the heaviest guage wire in the harness, and looks like it was intentionall unplugged. I hope I did not manage to accidentally unplug this somehow, messing with the alarm and/or door locks.

In relation to the yellow wire, it appears someone had used a pin in the ECU connector for something else, maybe the old phone system or something. I will try disconnecting ithopefully isolating a potential short.

Any idea how I can get a diagram and description of the ECU wiring harness/connector?
Thanks again for your input!