Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disco 1 performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: disco 1 performance

Dont need to go fast, just need acceleration, dont know if 12 seconds is normal for a disco, but it wasnt working for me. And you have a point about truck drivers, but to answer your question. i actually don't know how they do it. I'm always generus to truck drivers. there huge to. near detroit and flint 80% drivers are on cells. They just dont pay attention. And thats the truth. Today even in the Armored Truck. i had to get right back off the e-way for peopel who refused to get over and let you in.

I do 60 e-way. 65 max. I know its not a race car. At first i didnt know why K&N came up from, but forgot about the first post, old thread lol.

A future add on i'm wanting to do is an air compressor and air horn, maybe that will help

Old 07-03-2008, 07:26 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

The K&N airfilter will kill your MAF sensor.
Not much you can do to a Disco, change your gears in your axles.
These are trks, not cars, you need to plan ahead. You CAN merge, how do you think us truck drivers do it?
How fast do you need to go?

How do truck drivers do it? They just keep going, someone will move.
At 4700LBS for a Disco with 182 HP & 233 ftlbstq (Disco I)
my 3000 LB VW diesel has 130 hp and 250 ftlbstq and thats a 1.9L four Cly. the gas VW has 200 hp and 207 ftlbstq from a 2.0 4cly.

There is so much room for improvement its just how much do you want to spend.

The ECU is the first place to start,,,, its old tech about a 486 computer and thats old, with old programs.
My ECU was updated by Land Rover more that once.

The ECU from Land Rover is not adaptive it will not see any thing like low flow exhaust or other things done to help power or mileage uptill the ECU is remapped for it.

This is for the Disco I's as I do not know about newer LR's.

It took me over a year to research my preformance upgrades
that I'm doing now.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Mudding

Landzu - What are you cooking up?

matt rickman
fort collins, colorado

Old 07-03-2008, 12:03 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: mattrickman

Landzu - What are you cooking up?

matt rickman
fort collins, colorado
I started with a PowerChip and it was good until ethanol came along, I ran it for almost 2 years.

Being a Gear Head its always a way to improve any motor.
What I found was that anythang that was done to a Land Rover it would not help.

The question was why, the reason is the ECU.
I talked to many people most in the UK and was told that the ECU will not read upgrades and sometimes will go in to limp mode with just with a cam (coil pack LR's).

Over the last few months I have picked up a motor, (US) cam,lifters, timing gears chain,(UK) high flow y-pipe(US) and more.
I did send my ECU to the UK to get re-mapped.

By the time I get the motorwork done at themachine shop and have it put in I will have over 10k in the setup.
All for about 35 hp.
What the head work andbalancing and intake work will dois hard to tell what thetotal HP gain will be orwhat the toque increase will be.

But in a day with most V6's have more HP than our Rover V8's anything is better.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

My '97 has all the power I need, I can cruise along at 65mph all day long and not even break a sweat, I can put it in low-locked and damn near pull a house off its foundation. I can go everywhere a Chevy or Ford can go with a bigger engine.
And yes, us truck driver can merge,on the third blink of my blinker you better be somewhere else becauseI am comming over, I weigh 100,000lbs and yourcar weighs 2,000lbs, who do you think is going to win?
Not trying to be a jerk, but cars are so rude to trks it is ridiculous, they cut you off, pass you just so they can turn left, they stop to close when you are at a red light, they wont move when you are trying to make a wide turn, and of course, they see trks as a pain to be behind. Of course without trks America stops, if you bought it it was on a trk.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Mudding

I have a cold air intake and a straight exhaust with no muffler on and it sounds good and i can feel the extra performance from the upgrades and i mad it all myself on the cheap for a max of like $200.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

if you want a quick 15-20 hp swap your crank sensor wires, youll get a 3 degree advance in ign timing, you better be running high test though

Old 07-04-2008, 04:28 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: Spike555

My '97 has all the power I need, I can cruise along at 65mph all day long and not even break a sweat, I can put it in low-locked and damn near pull a house off its foundation. I can go everywhere a Chevy or Ford can go with a bigger engine.
And yes, us truck driver can merge,on the third blink of my blinker you better be somewhere else becauseI am comming over, I weigh 100,000lbs and yourcar weighs 2,000lbs, who do you think is going to win?
Not trying to be a jerk, but cars are so rude to trks it is ridiculous, they cut you off, pass you just so they can turn left, they stop to close when you are at a red light, they wont move when you are trying to make a wide turn, and of course, they see trks as a pain to be behind. Of course without trks America stops, if you bought it it was on a trk.

Youall have enough to worry about, and thenwith all the little car around, I stay far away.

Out west here we have speed limits from 65mph to 85mph
and we have to travel miles to get anywhere so more power
is better.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:31 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: roverguy7

if you want a quick 15-20 hp swap your crank sensor wires, youll get a 3 degree advance in ign timing, you better be running high test though

I bet you could set this up with a switch to advance the timing or run stock.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

a switch would probably work ok, as long as it is high quality and doesnt distort the signal back to the ecm through the switch