Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 chirpy blower motor fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Disco 2 chirpy blower motor fix

I found a wonderful post on another Land Rover forum about how to fix a noisy or chirpy Discovery II A/C blower motor

The link is Disco 2 chirpy blower motor fix - Discovery Forum - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum

First I want to commend the author of the post - he did an excellent job describing the steps and including photos

I followed the the instructions very carefully and sad to report that the fix does NOT work. It worked only for several days and the noise came back. I recorded videos of the process and was planning to post them here if the fix was successful.

The reason for this post is so that people don't waste their time attempting the blower motor fix. I guess NOTHING fixes a bad bearing. If it's time, it's TIME.

You're better off replacing the motor just one time, rather than trying to save $300 thinking you can.

Sincerely

Al
2003 D2 SE7 86K

Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yep. But would depend also on the level of wear, the size grit being sucked into the motor, etc. You might get by for awhile. And don't forget dismantlers and boneyards as sources also. Would be nice to have a replacement source for the motor, or if someone knows of a swap from another vehicle. Can't imagine that Bosch only makes that motor for Discovery II.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Hmm, I don't know... I had the blower motor chirp about two years ago, and couldn't stomach the price of a new one. I called several electrical rebuilders to see if I could replace just the motor and gave them the Bosch part#. No go. So I hosed out the motor with QD electric cleaner, lubricated the bearings with 3-In-One oil, reassembled, and reinstalled.

That was two years ago, and there has been no noise since. My HVAC is always set to "auto", so it is not from lack of use...

Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Yep. But would depend also on the level of wear, the size grit being sucked into the motor, etc. You might get by for awhile. And don't forget dismantlers and boneyards as sources also. Would be nice to have a replacement source for the motor, or if someone knows of a swap from another vehicle. Can't imagine that Bosch only makes that motor for Discovery II.

Agree with the replacement motor. I did something similar to my last couple jeep wranglers. There was a motor out of a van or something that was bigger, and all you had to do was swap over the fan blade to the new motor and drill a couple mounting holes, and rework the wiring plug. It was twice the flow and a cheap new motor from NAPA.