Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 - Hazards Stuck On. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 10:10 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Disco 2 - Hazards Stuck On. Help?

Hey Everyone,
2000 Disco 2 - Canada - 300,000Km - Leaky Headliner - Cracked Exhaust Manifold - Other sporadic electrical issues that have been present since I have owned it (4 years)

Hoping someone might have an easier / cheaper option to solve my issue than letting a shop at it or replacing the relays and Master Control Module which is my next step at the moment.

My issue: Hazard Lights or 4 ways are stuck on. They continuously flash even while the vehicle is turned off.
Tests:
1. We had a tester hooked up to it and when the tester is running a lights test the hazards stop blinking and act as they should. As soon as the tester is unplugged they resume.
2. We had taken apart the dash to check the hazard light switch and there is power there. Even when the switch is physically unplugged the lights continue to flash.
3. We have checked and all the bulbs seem to be working okay.
4. When the fuse is removed the lights stop but it also removes by ability to use my indicators when I turn. When I put a new fuse in there is some delay before the hazards begin again but it always resumes within a minute or two.

Thoughts:
1. I have heard that possibly the blinker relay or master control module could be a culprit.

thanks.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,134 Likes on 612 Posts

Sounds like water has gotten to the passenger compartment fusebox (under drivers dash area), caused corrosion.

The 2 relays, IDM and wiring behind them are a known failure point. I'd bet it's rusty inside the fusebox from front sunroof/windshield/A-pillar leaks. You can probably go back through and find a post of mine from 2020/2021 where I showed pictures of my bad fusebox, all rusty etc.

I'd suspect this fusebox BEFORE I'd suspect the BCM (body control module). HEre's description with relevant paragraph circled from the RAVE manual. Note the IDM and relays ​​​​​​for flashers are not serviceable, they;re soldered in an integral to fusebox. Hence if there's an issue, you usually end up replacing the fusebox.

The following users liked this post:
ahab (07-05-2023)