Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 Keyfob Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye712
Street Wolf,

Is that fob from the dealer or an aftermarket supplier? I've been looking to get a flip out fob and that one looks to be good quality. I also like that it has the LR logo on it. Could you tell me where you purchased it?

Thanks!
Yeah; curious how much that cost. It looks great, but I'm not working right now so money is super tight.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Super cheap, on eBay. Some people have said they are a little too long and its tight to turn the ignition. I bought 2, but have not done anything with them yet.

Folding Remote Key Shell 2 Button for Land Rover Discovery 2 Fob Case Flip Case | eBay

Old 07-16-2015, 09:15 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Goddess: I had to have mine cut twice, the first place, a reputable indy hardware store who seemed like they knew what to do... didn't.

Then after a few days with separate fob and key I found a key guy in a kiosk outside the DMV office and he took a look and said it was wrong and fixed it!! Now it works as easily as the original... so a bad cut can happen.

BTW I got a replica of the original off Amazon for $6.

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2015, 01:21 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street Wolf,

Is that fob from the dealer or an aftermarket supplier? I've been looking to get a flip out fob and that one looks to be good quality. I also like that it has the LR logo on it. Could you tell me where you purchased it?

Thanks!
The case is a Chinese replica of a Mini-Cooper fob that used the same exact transponder. You can find them on amazon or ebay, they're all sold by the same retailer in China.

The locksmith had trouble cutting the key, but somehow it still works in the ignition. I have a feeling he wasn't very experienced though. It's pretty easy to strip the heads on the screws that came with it, so I recommend picking up some nice stainless machine screws from radio shack to make the case rock solid. Overall, miles better than the stock fob. Oh yeah, and you'll also need a bit of superglue to mount some of the little rubber pieces inside the case.

If you're gonna convert I also recommend replacing the switches on the board from membrane switches to mechanical ones. I recorded a short video so you can see what I'm talking about.

Links to kits:

Link to the Key Fob Link to the Key Fob

Repair kit with new switches

Old 07-17-2015, 10:37 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks cmmoyer for that information. One thing, though: the fob on the Amazon link does not have the LR emblem, only the recessed outline where it ought to go. Is there somewhere that I can also purchase the emblem to place in there, or is the one in Street Wolf's post from somewhere else?

Old 07-18-2015, 12:11 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks cmmoyer for that information. One thing, though: the fob on the Amazon link does not have the LR emblem, only the recessed outline where it ought to go. Is there somewhere that I can also purchase the emblem to place in there, or is the one in Street Wolf's post from somewhere else?
The one from Amazon does indeed come with the little emblem, they just didn't display it in the image for copyright reasons probably.