Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2000 service engine light problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:19 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2000 service engine light problems

Hi all~ I'm new to this and all other forum-ventures, so bear with me! I have a question about my 2000 Discovery II. Bought the truck about 6 months ago with 96k on it, no service records. I have solved a suspension prob by searching the forum. I think my air springs are blown, probably switching to coils as it's an asphalt baby...

After I bought it, SES light would come on and off periodically, seemed to depend on what gas I used - it would come on if I got 93 from Shell, and go off if I got 91 from 7-11. The other night on the way home from work the light started blinking at me, but would stop blinking and go solid on if I got over 65mph. Pulled the codes and had misfires, so changed plugs and wires yesterday. Today light is still flashing, with same result at highway speed. Pulled codes again, have

P0304
P0300
P0308
P0304
P1300
P1590

Mechanic suggested possible bad coil(s). I don't want to just throw money and parts at this until it's maybe fixed. Any suggestions would be a huge help!

Oh, I just had a terrible thought... My hubby got the oil changed about 300 miles before I started having this problem. My mechanic told me that if you put a different kind of oil in it that it has been used to it could kill it - could that be the problem??? We don't know what kind of oil the previous owner used, as we have no records! On that note, anything else I need to be mindful of for upcoming maintenance?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Bet you still have the factory grey plug wires!!!!
You need to do a tune up along with all the stuff I have listed, on a sticky, at the top of the Discovery section so your truck is current.
As for the 1590, that is a ABS/Rough Road fault code that will go away when you deal with your 3 Amigos.
Your mechanic is a fool to make statements like the oil change.
Why not fix your rear air suspension and enjoy the ride?

Old 12-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Will at roverguy.com and buy STI plug wires. ~$60 for German wires.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:09 PM
4th Gear

I have no idea what wires were in there, but a friend replaced them for me 2 days ago. I think my hubby said he put in AC Delco wires and some sort of iridium plugs, can't remember what brand. Is that a no-no?

What is a "standard" tune-up? No one seems to have that as a service option, and it usually just involves plugs and wires, from what I can tell, and I just had that done with no effect on the misfiring.

I added Berryman motor treatment to my gas tank yesterday, as some threads suggested flashing engine lights could be linked to injector problems. Couldn't find the seemingly preferred "BG 44" at Autozone.

SES light is still on and flashing at under 65mpgs, and everything I've read in the forum says not to drive it. This is my daily driver, my husband and I are sharing his truck right now, but I need my own truck so what should I do???

Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Major Service for high mileage vehicles

Look at the top of the forum for the "sticky" of Major Service for high mileage.

There are a lot of opinions about plugs and wires, most agree some sort of 8mm wires are best.
Make sure you run premium octane fuel ONLY.

I'm sure others will chime in to help you with your specific codes to address...

Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

are you losing any coolant? do you have a waterfall sound in the dash?

get rid of the AC delco wires and get either Kingsborne, STI or Magnecor 8mm wires.

you need to stop driving it, if the CEL is blinking that means "stop driving me or im going to blow up"

Old 12-23-2010, 01:59 PM
4th Gear

I'm not driving the truck, it's in the shop. Mechanic says coil in #8 bad, injector in #4 bad, recommends replacing all injectors, but parts are very pricey. Do I need to go with OEM parts, or can I use aftermarket, and are remanufactured parts reliable? I found some that are less than 1/3 the price of aftermarket, by GB and Beck/Arnley. Anyone know anything about these, are they good/bad/indifferent? Any suggestions for where to get the injectors for less than an arm/leg??? Thanks again for the help!

Old 12-23-2010, 02:00 PM
4th Gear

Sorry, forgot to say yes, waterfall sound in dash since I bought it. I take it that's a problem...