Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Disco has been totaled. Am I crazy to go for a P38?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Dont say we did not warn you. Add up the money you spent buying the P38, factor in repair work and parts and by the time you turn it into a solid rig, you may have spent $9,000+. Still thank you should look into the newer Range Rovers I linked above, they are bigger, modern, less mechanical issues and more reliable. Buy one of those and your girl will fall in love with it, then you can say "told ya so" when she realizes how reliable the vehicle is compared to the D2/D1 and P38's. Just saying.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I couldn't stay away. I passed on the P38, and picked up a 2002 SE7 tonight. Super clean rig, can tell it's been really well cared for, but of course there are a couple of issues that will need to be taken care of straight away.

1. Moderate vibration in the seat at 35-45mph, and when changing lanes at high speeds. From what I've read in previous threads, I'm 95% sure it's the roto flex, or the rear driveshaft all together. I budgeted for this, so I'm ordering a Tom Woods tomorrow.

2. 3 Amigos are on. I did not have amigos in my last D2, but Ultra-Guage shot out P1590. Looks easy enough, so I'm ordering the Amigos tool tomorrow.

3. Needs a 60k service. It looks like the original owner took it to the dealership pretty much every time she drove by, and I have stacks of records.. Owner two looks like they tried to keep up with dealership visits, but thought better of it after a few visits. Last owner had it for 2 months, but didn't do much by way of service for it.

4. Alignment.

**A few notes. Stepping up from a SD to SE7 is pretty sweet. Feels great to sit in real leather seats that are heated. A heated windshield it pretty badass, and fog lights make it much easier to drive at night on poorly lit stretches of highway... The jump seats are more comfortable than I thought, just need to figure out how to stow them away.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WARNING: Long Post Ahead!
Just my personal experience here... I have an 02 P38 as well as a 2004 DII.
My P38 is by FAR my favorite car I've ever owned. I bought it from a guy who had given it to his college-age daughter, and it had 143,000 miles. Paid 3800 for it, and it was a mess... Original plugs and wires and had a misfire P0307 that was fixed by wires plugs and several SeaFoam treatments on my part. Replaced the pad and leather on the drivers seat, fixed numerous other small things like adjusting the door latches, glove box, cd changer, etc, mostly thanks to help from this forum! Anyway, it has 154,000 on it now, probably nowhere near as nice as the one in the link that you posted, and I have nearly the same amount invested with 50K more miles and I, personally would say: get it looked at by a mechanic if you need to, but buy it, and enjoy it!
Conversely, I have a DII and it's a nice truck as well, but just don't care for it as much as I do my range rover. It is beautiful, shiny, and has 90,000 on it. Runs good, etc, but just isn't as nice a truck IMO as the P38. Disclaimer: I have never driven a newer RR, the early next generation ones (03, 04) may well be far superior for all I know, but I do know that I, For one, LOVE my P38.
Second disclaimer: I have been fortunate enough to just have the aforementioned mechanical issues, and no major electrical issues save an alternator that just went bad. I know that they can be very problematic in that way... Perhaps I just got lucky with a great truck despite it being severely abused in the years up to me owning it.
Third disclaimer: I also never take the truck off-road... I know people favor discoveries for that purpose. I just drive it to work, but live in Chicago so really appreciate the excellent 4 wheel drive in the snow.
Ok that's the end of my lengthy post... Hope it helps you!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh just saw you bought another discovery. Cheers on the new truck!!! Enjoy!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:12 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Murph2121
Yeah, in the end I just didn't want the electrical hassles that were bound to come up.

I agree that the P38 drove a lot smoother, I just prefer a more utilitarian truck. The DII is as solid as they come, and part of me thinks I went with another DII because I didn't get to finish what I started.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My comments are about you action plan. Now I'm not like a 30 year service manager who tells you how to spend your cash but I do know a little about how to save money.

Amigos - can be a number of things most likely shuttle valve or speed sensor. However, you don't know so your going to buy a good tool called a "ABS Amigo". However it's 200 buck minimum, If it were me, I would spend an extra 200 bucks and get a Black Box Solutions Discovery Code reader and be able to read all of your cars issues for the rest of it's life. However, if I were cheap and I am, for 100 bucks a local Rover Mechanic can read your codes and give you advice how to fix it. One is cheaper and will work the other is expensive, but you will never have to lay out another penny in quess work.

Now I don't know about the vibration but it does sound like you are guessing about the roto flex. Now brother I understand the drive shaft issues Discoverys have. However, a vibration under the seat can be a unblanced tire, it could be an issue with with the hub, even the front propeller shaft, tie rod ends, a broken belt on a tire. The issue is do you know it's that RotoFlex. Because unless you know, stop by a shop and ask them to look at it, pay them the 80 bucks to check into it. You don't have to have them do the repair, just the diagnositics. If you follow that plan you know what your dealing with.

Recently, I bought another Discovery II, because I do like them, and I love getting kicked in the *****. It had the three amigos, I went to a rover indepentant in Lake Villa Illinois and he read the abs codes for me for 80 bucks, half the price of the abs amigo. Then I had him read the engine code it had, which I already knew was the P1171 P1170 Lean on Bank 1 and 2 code. His advice after 170 bucks was to change the abs shuttle valve, replace the MAF, he also showed me a couple other issues. After that visit, for less than the price of a amigo buddy, I knew all my issues and I fixed most of them. (The freaking P1171 P1170 thing still happens intermitantly and is pissing me off).

1. Moderate vibration in the seat at 35-45mph, and when changing lanes at high speeds. From what I've read in previous threads, I'm 95% sure it's the roto flex, or the rear driveshaft all together. I budgeted for this, so I'm ordering a Tom Woods tomorrow.

2. 3 Amigos are on. I did not have amigos in my last D2, but Ultra-Guage shot out P1590. Looks easy enough, so I'm ordering the Amigos tool tomorrow.

3. Needs a 60k service. It looks like the original owner took it to the dealership pretty much every time she drove by, and I have stacks of records.. Owner two looks like they tried to keep up with dealership visits, but thought better of it after a few visits. Last owner had it for 2 months, but didn't do much by way of service for it.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't have one, but supposedly, this tool for $165 will read/reset ABS codes along with other codes.
Amazon.com: Autel AL619 OBDII/CAN Scan Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel AL619 OBDII/CAN Scan Tool: Automotive

I personally have the CDP+ tool for around $100, but you need a laptop or Tablet to connect to. It also reads ALL codes and resets them.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...o-2-abs-62213/

Old 10-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph2121
Lol, but your post wasn't wasted! I'm still toying with the thought of adding a P38 as a daily driver (they are just so much cheaper than grand Cherokees because people are TERRIFIED of them) because I don't want to wear out the Disco that I ultimately want to build for Moab Service.

I'm thinking a decent P38 for $3k with $2k for initial "freshening/maintenance" would be a much more rewarding ride than a $5k Grand Cherokee, and posts like yours reinforce that thought.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Mudding

[QUOTE= I'm thinking a decent P38 for $3k with $2k for initial "freshening/maintenance" would be a much more rewarding ride than a $5k Grand Cherokee, and posts like yours reinforce that thought.[/QUOTE]Dude, where is everyone picking up P38's and DII's for $3k? I know that's all their worth when you add in immediate service/maint, but people in the Midwest think these things have solid gold babies hidden somewhere.

I got the owner of the P38 down $800 to $4300, before I changed my mind, and went with the SE7 (for $4300)

Guess there are too many folks in KC that don't yet know what they are getting themselves into and are willing to pay five grand for a "luxury" SUV.

Last edited by flanker6; 10-24-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flanker6
Dude, where is everyone picking up P38's and DII's for $3k?
Check craigslist daily. They'll pop up eventually at that price, sometimes even at a dealer.

Quick Reply: The Disco has been totaled. Am I crazy to go for a P38?