Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Disco has been totaled. Am I crazy to go for a P38?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't want to be the guy to say this but check auctions for a p-38. I got my D2 at auction and it doesn't have any problems besides the 3 amigos which has most likely been caused by break dust/squeaky breaks (knock on wood don't want it to be more than that still need to have codes read) in total we payed 3200 for my d2 and its a 2002 SE7. Just hope it stays as reliable as it has been since march. only major replacement was the drive shaft and when we rebuilt it the rotoflex ujoints did not look very dry. P-38 range rovers go through auctions around here quite often my step dad owns a car dealership/service center and gets most of his used cars at auction. only downside to it is not always having the best of service records and not knowing what you will get.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Utah. KSL.com. Mixed quality, hit or miss, starting at $1,500. My disco II had complete service records, including all shopwork done at Great Basin Rovers. I spent $5k, which was $1500 more than the typical going rate for a '99 with 90k miles. My bro in law is trying to convince my sister on a white 2002 SE7 with 147k for $3600, and that's a dealer price (room to negotiate). I told him, lets bring the ultra gauge, and pick it up if the head gasket and temps are fine.

P38s are usually a bit higher around $3500 for coil-converts and $5/7k with a clean sample with no faults.

I'm a DIYer, so some faults are actually a bonus for me, as long as I can repair the faults for less than a total vehicle cost of $5k.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$3600 dealer price sounds like a really good deal dealers are better to buy from than someone off a street corner to be honest.. ( thats just my opinion )

Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Used car dealerships and craigslist can both host crooks that will burn you. With the older Rovers, you just have to know what you're looking at. With newer cars, they're so complex it can be hard to diagnose even a small part of what's really going on. But you have to be able to read past the Carfax. I've been shown cars where the dealer will say, "It's not been in any accidents according to Carfax," but I can find overspray. They were truthful. The accident wasn't reported to Carfax. Of course, it gets worse. That's why used car salesmen have the reputation they do. Off craigslist, you might get someone who's just trying to sell a car they don't need or want anymore. Not everyone is trying to get over on you, but of course for some people, that's a way of life. Personally, I suck at dealing with aggressive people. At dealerships, you can count on some aggressiveness. If not from the salesperson, then from their "manager." If it wasn't like this, they'd be leaving money on the table and wouldn't make it for long.

I believe one of the better sources of specialty cars are the independent mechanics that work on them. They know the cars, and their business doesn't primarily depend on making sales. They have an interest in being honest about what it is and what it isn't. Unlike a used car dealership or even a new car dealer, you are more likely to be a customer beyond the warranty. Unlike another consumer off craigslist, they have a business reputation to consider.

If I were buying a British or German car, I would talk to the indy mechanics and see what they have or know about.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Discovery
Lol, but your post wasn't wasted! I'm still toying with the thought of adding a P38 as a daily driver (they are just so much cheaper than grand Cherokees because people are TERRIFIED of them) because I don't want to wear out the Disco that I ultimately want to build for Moab Service.

I'm thinking a decent P38 for $3k with $2k for initial "freshening/maintenance" would be a much more rewarding ride than a $5k Grand Cherokee, and posts like yours reinforce that thought.
Yeah, it's seriously a weird niche... so to speak. They obviously aren't terribly difficult to work on, I mean things are a little tight under the hood, but I think most new cars are now. And yes, a 5K P38 would certainly be a nicer ride than a 5K cherokee. I drive mine to work every day (about 45 mins each way) and I'm not kidding, every day I think "I can't believe I own this truck and I get to drive it every day!"
There are some things that seem like they are almost engineered to "convince" you to take it to the dealer for repair... I just replaced the shocks on mine and on the top shock mount there is loads of space between the mount and the motor... and absolutely no space between the mount and the outer fender, so of course they put the head of the threaded bolt on THAT side, rather than the side that would be super easy to get to.. just stuff like that, but with a little persistence and ingenuity none of that stuff is really anything you can't do with just a regular set of tools. I will say I feel like I've been super lucky with mine, cause I haven't encountered any electrical problems. (Should I have even said that out loud?) anyway, good luck with your search, they are wonderful trucks.