Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II ecu and bcu replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 11:26 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II ecu and bcu replacement questions

I bought a 99 disco 2 with a bad transfer case, got that replaced and it drives great but was taking on water from all over. I think, please god, that i have stopped all the leaks but at some point last week my key fob quit locking/unlocking the doors. The dome light would come on, but no others, and the security light would go on and off when the buttons were pressed but not actually lock or unlock. Well i just dealt with it. Then the center switch stopped working, then the blinkers stopped working, the delayed wipers quit working, the odometer started flashing for a few days then it went back to normal, but the gear indicator next to the odometer flashes a D with a slash through it and im not sure what that means.

I have replaced the battery with a new one and that made everything, except the flashing D, to go away until i restarted it after work then everything wasnt working again.

I believe the BCU is bad in some form or another and i need to know what dangers there are with replacing it, and the ECU as a pair from a donor, to at least test to see if that fixes the issues. Other than a flashing odometer that has the actual mileage of the car, will i have any other problems?

Old 10-23-2019, 06:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

It takes about 40 minutes and is easy peasy. If you have the matching gauge cluster install with it. Just make sure on the ECU to install connectors in the right order because they interlock.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Just throwing this out there as its an easier swap IMO.
Try replacing the fuse box first.

Many relays and controls exist in the fusebox that are not serviceable.
And its way easier to replace than the cluster, bcu and ecu.
And cheaper. I bought one off of Ebay for under $30.

Just a thought........

You might also pull the bcu and ecu and open them up first for a visual inspection for circuit board rust etc due to any water exposure.

Good Luck.......

Old 10-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Good call on the fusebox, you can always keep it for a spare for when the heater fan circuit goes out or just resell it on ebay if it does not fix your problem.