Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II engine install

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 10:01 AM
Baja
Received 719 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rd disco
PART 1 (10 days ago)
Okay... so I'm about to replace my engine in my 04 discovery.
Very excited as it's ran like **** for the past 8 mths.
I've got a well recommended mechanic that's also an enthusiast and specializes in rovers.
I've never ever had an engine replaced. I'm a bit apprehensive with spending this kind of money on a used engine.
Please share some advise, knowledge and wisdom.
The engine is said to have 90K miles? its coming from another rover he have bought (as I was close to selling mine for good usable parts).
His word is: Before replacing engine with the his great running engine... he will rebuild the top half before installing it he said a lot of mechanical jargon (new heads, new valve stem, cover, gaskets, plugs, wires, etc... $3300)
Sounds good.
Please share wisdom and experience. I'm a bit nervous as I mentally can't tolerate another mechanic "F' over" in my life.
I'm not real trusting but I need this done, so I can enjoys loving my truck again.
Any advise is needed and appreciated

Part 2 (today)
I picked up my truck today... I sounded great. Everything was done as promised.
Sounded perfect. Drove as well as you could want your rover to drive.
drove it 40 miles on interstate. pulled it over to get gas, drove around the corner to emissions, noticed oil pump light came on. car started funny (as in when a car is low on oil). I called mechanic immediately and told him the story.
He will be sending a wrecker out to retrieve vehicle. He told me I shouldn't have drove it with the oil lamp on. I told him not even start that "my fault" ****, I'm not a mechanic but I know better... He said he will fix whatever the problem is he said he'd swap out oil pump if thats the case.
He seems honest. I'm very untrusting and a bit shiity at the situation.
Although this happened. The vehicle drove excellent. But now it have indicator light on and it's ticking.
Any advise please
i think the proper etiquette would be to start your own thread, then I could answer your question

Old 09-10-2016, 05:14 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay... I thought I was joining an existing thread called "what did you do with your land rover today". still new unsure about how this forum works Abran.
Forgive my lack of etiquette, could anyone please pass some knowledge and wisdom my way. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Baja
Received 719 Likes on 624 Posts

Okay... I thought I was joining an existing thread called "what did you do with your land rover today". still new unsure about how this forum works Abran.
Forgive my lack of etiquette, could anyone please pass some knowledge and wisdom my way. Thanks.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk, sorry if I came off that way. Start a new thread with your issue in the title and you will get more help then burying your problem on the last page of a previous thread.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Wisdom recommends you starting new thread here in D2 section of forum: Discovery II - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...newthread&f=18

Old 09-14-2016, 09:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well just my luck....
There has been an 2000 disco sitting at the local wreckers for 8 months or so I have been looking at, they would not part it out until the insurance claim finalized.
So Friday they informed me it was ready and I said great I'll be up for the windshield Tuesday and I would help them take it out.
Well I got there and they had someone try to get it out before I got there and it broke. BAH! It is the last major piece I need for my disco and they only wanted $100.00 for it. And all the garages I have asked said they will not pass it for safety with the crack the disco has in it now.
On a positive note they sold me a maf sensor for $30. and no more codes(so far) and the line ends I needed to fix the ACE leak.

So as of now...the disco is running great with no more fluid leaks. Only thing left to do is replace the windshield which I cannot afford the almost $700 for a new one, fix the leaking muffler(easy), and finish brushing off the rust on the chassis and undercoat it. Oh, and figure out why the ACE light is still orange...maybe it is because I have been unable to bleed it?
I did a quick tally and so far I am a bit less than $1500.00 into this thing and I could be driving it if it were not for the windshield preventing it from passing a safety.

Last edited by Robert Patterson; 09-14-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Only thing left to do is replace the windshield which I cannot afford the almost $700 for a new one
Have you checked rockauto and local auto glass companies?

Old 09-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by number9
Have you checked rockauto and local auto glass companies?
Yup...Rockauto is $704 with shipping, local glass companys are all around the $630-700 installed range.

Not sure what to do now

Old 09-16-2016, 11:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 864 Likes on 628 Posts

Have you checked whether or not your insurance company would pay for the windshield? All states, or maybe most all states, require I don't insurance companies to cover windshield replacement at either no cost or at a very low deductible. They compel that for the same safety reasons you can't get your inspection passed without the windshield being replaced. And in my admittedly limited experience with these things the insurance companies make it really easy and don't do much of anything to validate the claim.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mln01
Have you checked whether or not your insurance company would pay for the windshield? All states, or maybe most all states, require I don't insurance companies to cover windshield replacement at either no cost or at a very low deductible. They compel that for the same safety reasons you can't get your inspection passed without the windshield being replaced. And in my admittedly limited experience with these things the insurance companies make it really easy and don't do much of anything to validate the claim.
No insurence on it yet as it is still unlicensed and unplated. It has to pass safety before I can get it licensed.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:22 PM
Three Wheeling

The crack....

Quick Reply: Disco II engine install