Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Front Driveshaft re-build > re-think

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great advise. Ordered the centering ball today.
Is there a good write up on how that comes out? I got a dremmel too but how

Old 10-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Avoid the Dremmel if possible...this is the write up that I used...make sure you read all the way to the bottom...he had to go back and do the centering ball too...

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/propshafts.html

Old 10-27-2010, 05:20 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use the slide hammer. There is a good potential of damaging the carrier with the Dremmel.

BTW, my slide hammer came from Harbor Freight and it is still going...

Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
Don't use one of the cheap slide hammers from Harbor Freight though, or if you do, don't be surprised if it doesn't work out for you. I broke mine trying to get the centering ball out and ended up chopping the old ball/ring out with a Dremmel...
Lol, totally did this myself. That said, I totally don't recommend it...I slightly scored the carrier edge and was worried sick the other one wasn't going to fit right. Everything turned out ok, but this is definitely a last resort sort of thing.

Originally Posted by Fireman
Use the slide hammer. There is a good potential of damaging the carrier with the Dremmel.
Based on my experience, +1.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rubber bushing in the double UJ?

I am rebuilding my front drive shaft based on the instructions here. After disassembling the double-UJ I noticed some deterioration on the rubber bushing that is attached to the shaft. Any ideas on what the replacement part is for this?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one for sale. Shoot me a number you wanna pay and it's a deal.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no task that I will not take on....Until I rebuilt my front driveshaft that is. For something that you would think is fairly simple regardless of what you read right, Uh No.

I messed with the centering ball for well over 5 hours total and invented new words that I'm not sure I've ever heard spoken.

Bring it to a shop and save yourself much anger. I'll take on a single U-joint any time but that Double is a real *** kicker.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0304Disco
There is no task that I will not take on....Until I rebuilt my front driveshaft that is. For something that you would think is fairly simple regardless of what you read right, Uh No.

I messed with the centering ball for well over 5 hours total and invented new words that I'm not sure I've ever heard spoken.

Bring it to a shop and save yourself much anger. I'll take on a single U-joint any time but that Double is a real *** kicker.
Exactly what I just realized.. Except I went through 2 centering ***** and finally got it all back together after picking needle bearings out of everywhere, only for it to fly apart 5 miles due to crack in driveshaft from removing old ones..

No good deed goes in punished

Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To this day I have no idea how I was able to manage to put the double cardon assembly back together without shooting myself. I used a two-ton puller and the sleeves from a c-clamp/press that I rented to get the ball and casing out. Plus, tons of grease to keep the pins in place.

Last edited by Antmen; 09-10-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:37 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I can promise you.. NEVER AGAIN.. As I said I'd MUCH rather be doing head gaskets

Quick Reply: Disco II Front Driveshaft re-build > re-think