Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II - Traction Control doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II - Traction Control doesn't work

I have a 1999 Discovery Series II. When I turn the key on, the ABS & Traction Control lights do not come on. The ABS does work when I try to stop fast on gravel etc. I can feel the ABS kick in. However the Traction Control never works...

I did check the bulb for the ABS and it is fine. I cannot find anyone having this issue online, any ideas??

M

Old 03-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the lights should come on when you turn the key on, then go off. Someone may have pulled the bulbs when they had a problem and sold it to you with the bulbs removed so you wouldn't know about the problem.

I would replace the bulbs first to make sure, then if they stay on, take to a Rover shop and have the codes read. You might find a member close to you that has a scanner they will let you borrow.

Search the three Amigo's. common problem. Your HDC probably doesn't work either.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Overlanding

HDC works, already had it scanned, no issues.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Overlanding

and my HDC light works fine.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:49 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If your warning lights work and are not lit and your ABS and HDC works then I would think your traction control should work. Have you had your ABS codes read? Have you tried to spun the tires on gravel, ice or wet roads?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Overlanding

I cannot get ABS light, or Traction Control light to come on whatsoever. If i try to climb a decently steep hill with a little mud, my disco craps out because its probably only turning one wheel... I did take my disco to the local land rover shop, he took it out for a spin and said the traction control is definitely not working, ABS is working, but its weird there are no lights. I will have to start paying $$ to have it diagnosed further, but I thought maybe someone might have some ideas on here first, since I am a DIY'er for the most part. Im just stumped right now though.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:14 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

traction control only works by shutting down the throttle and operating the abs in tandem. try take a fast turn at a stop sign or turn into traffic going fast and watch it kick in.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would suggest that you have the TC scanned next. weird that it is out and the ABS and HDC work...

So the Rover shop told you it didn't work but didn't tell you why? I hope they didn't charge you...

Old 03-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Overlanding

Tried cornering and all that, trust me, i know what traction control does and feels like, it doesn't kick in. I also understand that it's pretty much just ABS, so that's why I'm so confused as to why ABS works but not TC.

My local Land Rover guy did not charge me. He is very fair and good to work with, I just like to try and fix things myself before I hire it out.

How does the TC sense it needs to use ABS to stop certain tires from spinning and give more power to other tires? Is it the main control unit? Maybe that could be the problem??

Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Mudding

When you turn on the hdc do you hear the abs return pump running? (loud buzzing in dash) also, are you sure that the hdc is applying the brakes and not just using engine/gearing to slow you down? If it's applying brakes and the abs return pump is working... Then the tc should work I would think. Does your speedometer work?

Quick Reply: Disco II - Traction Control doesn't work