Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II - Traction Control doesn't work

Old 03-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the ABS is loud when HDC is in use, it's definately working right, sounds exactly like my LR3. I can hear the ABS pump in the dash. The speedometer works great. This Disco did come out of Canada, if that means anything...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Mudding

It just so happens that the guy I work with worked as a tech at a LR dealership for 4 years. I ran it by him and of course this is just opinion with being able to test anything but that if the hdc works, the abs works, but the abs light and the tc doesn't work that it sounded like a bad abs module. Essentially all the components of the tc/abs/hdc work because you see that they workwith abs and hdc .. The only component left is the controller of the tc system, the abs module. Take that for what it's worth.

Last edited by GARovee; 03-30-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Mudding

Let me reword that. You know all the tc system components work because the hdc and abs use them and are working. The only thing left is the module to question.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to have someone with a good scanner, one with Rover soft ware, that can access and read the ABS fault codes.
Don't let anyone throw parts at it till the codes are read, get an estimate and get back to us first.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go to someone with a LR specific scanner (testbook, autologic, hawkeye etc) that can read the ABS codes to make sure that there is not a stored code and also actuate each wheel's ABS to make sure everything is kosher with the ABS system. Don't assume that it is the ABS module, very seldom is the ABS module actually bad. It is usually a bad connection that can be fixed easily for free. Shops love to throw new ABS units in though as they are big ticket items and easy to swap out.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Overlanding

Had it hooked up to a "good" scanner. There was a Shuttle Valve Switch Fault, and a Wheel Speed Sensor Fault stored in the old faults or something like that. Not sure if these would mean anything...

Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Mudding

Those mean something but niether have anything to do with your abs light not coming on. The svs fault is typical. There's a couple of ways to fix that fault besides buying a new high dollar modulator. Just do a search for svs fault fix. Wheel speed sensor fault speaks for it's self. However I believe both of these codes have nothing to dowith your tc problem because both of those codes would affect the hdc, and abs as well as those features use the sv and sensors. That's just my thoughts though. I'm still pitting my money on the module. I'm a g2 tech (Mercedes and Detroit) for a dealership and we use wabco systems... I not saying I know a damn thing about discos and their wabco systems so by all means take what I say with little regard. But I just don't see what else is in the system besides the module that could be malfunctioning. The fact that the module is able to command the pump on, read sensor signals, tells me that the harness is okay and that it's the module doing nothing in terms of tc.

Did it say how long ago the codes were logged and how many times they were logged?

Again.. Just thinking out loud. I know very little.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 PM
TReK

Here's the deal as far as I know. A speed sensor fault stored in the history should illuminate the 3 amigos but (could) leave your ABS working at a lower threshold but disable your TC. This was my experience last time I had the 3 amigos for a bad rear hub. ABS worked on 3 wheels that had the good sensors but the TC did not work. When I had a bad front hub then my abs was completely disabled along with the TC. With those stored codes you should have the amigos lights one. The shuttle valve fault may point to a bad connection in the modulator which is easy to fix.

So I assume he cleared the codes stored in the history?

Last edited by lipadj46; 03-30-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Mudding

Lipad, that sounds like what he has going on.. And stored codes would not set the amigos. Only active codes would set the amigos or active then inactivr during a ignition cycle. The only thing that doesn't jive with it all is that those codes having nothing to do with his abs light not self checking. I'm lost now.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:29 PM
TReK

Stored code will keep the amigos on even if the problem is fixed. I have no idea what's going on either but that stored sensor code should definitely illuminate the amigos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disco II - Traction Control doesn't work