Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II - Traction Control doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't find it, I see a amplifier under the driver seat, and the 6 disk cd changer under the passenger seat. Does anyone know where the SLABS is located?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Under the hood, driver's side.

Attached Thumbnails Disco II - Traction Control doesn't work-slabs.jpg  
Old 11-22-2013, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Did this ever get resolved? I have a P38 where the ABS is working, but the traction control is not.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure if the original post was ever answered sufficiently, but I had a similar problem when I bought my D2. TC, ABS, & HDC didn't work from the moment I bought it. I read many threads and finally read one that said I should see the lights come on as a "bulb" test at startup. I use "bulb" in quotes because they are LEDs mounted on the circuit board and should never go out. I pulled apart my instrument cluster (quite easy, just download RAVE for directions) and found that a previous owner (probably the sketchy dude I bought it from) had used a black liquid rubber compound to cover up the LEDs and a black marker to fill in the corresponding logos on the back side of the instrument cluster face. So, the truck had three amigos but I didn't know it at the sale. Turned out I had a bad wheel speed sensor that had the wire get snipped, a little soldering and heat shrink fixed it and had an independent Rover shop reset the SLABS issues. Worked for a while but now back on, haven't had time to troubleshoot again. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
RLF20 (01-07-2015)
Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Did the TC ever work? How do you know you've got TC on your truck? TC doessn't work all the time unless the wheels are out our sych. Go to a gravel car park slam the brakes on hard(ish) throw a 3/4 lock right or left and deck the gas pedal and the TC should kick in and stop the wheelspin on the loose gravel but be ready to catch any oversteer on the steering otherwise you'll pull a full 360 degree pirouette . You'll hear the TC cut in under those circumstances and you've gotta be totally b@lls out to make TC work fully.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Garovee might be on to something. Although TC, HDC and ABS are all operated from the ABS modulator, ABS works the opposite of TC and HDC. ABS works by relieving pressure in the brake lines to reduce braking when a wheel is locked, and TC and HDC work by increasing pressure in the brake lines to "modulate" the brake calipers when a wheel is turning too fast. Hence the loud buzzing coming from the modulator that is very different from the soft ABS vibration coming from the pedal. There are eight valves in the modulator, so two separate systems in a way.

The sensors in the hubs control all three functions so I'd rule that out. I'd make sure that HDC is actually working and emitting that loud buzz Garovee mentioned, then work from there.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 AM
Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 PM
3rd Gear
Talking

jaredveenstra Bingo!!!!! I had exactly the same problem with my Disco 2 and the problem was that a stupid previous owner disassembled the panel and put some black rubber in front of the TC, ABS and HDC warning lights.... Your information helped my solving the problem I was looking for a long time and even the LR dealer here in Brazil could not find it. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Disco II - Traction Control doesn't work-img_1781.jpg   Disco II - Traction Control doesn't work-img_1785.jpg  

Last edited by RLF20; 01-07-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Wow..

Old 01-07-2015, 06:03 PM

All the dash lights should illuminate for a few seconds which is a self test when you initially turn on the ignition key to position 2 prior to starting. This lets you know all the lamps and systems are activated and working.

Quick Reply: Disco II - Traction Control doesn't work