Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II will not start. Not alternator or battery, whats the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disco II will not start. Not alternator or battery, whats the problem?

Its a weird problem that is not very persistent. Sometimes it will not start and sometimes it will. I thought it was a grounding wire issue, one of the grounding wires was loose, but it solved that problem and it still sometimes happens. The battery works, but the engine will sometimes not crank. Today was hot and it did not crank in the heat of the day, so it might have something to do with the heat. I am not the best with cars, so help me out please. I know it is not the battery or alternator because triple A came out and tested them both, the battery is good and the alternator is putting out more than 12v. Let me know of all possible reasons for this and I will check it out and return with a verdict.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

search this forum for how to diagnose an intermitent crankshaft position sensor with a bottle of water .

It was just posted by a clever LR tech a few days ago.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

If it is not cranking (turning over, trying to start) then it is not going to be the crankshaft sensor.

After saying that, you say AAA tested both the battery and the alternator. The only way to test an alternator is with the engine running, so was AAA able to get it started?

When it doesn't start, does it click, does it make no sound, does it go "ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh ruh" like a vehicle that is out of gas?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Overlanding

No it doesnt even sound like its cranking. No noise at all. And yes the engine turned on when triple A came out.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:55 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

check to make sure the starter relay is grounding. if it doesn't ground then its probably the xyz switch. if it does then swap the relay and if it still happens then its probably the starter.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
check to make sure the starter relay is grounding. if it doesn't ground then its probably the xyz switch. if it does then swap the relay and if it still happens then its probably the starter.
How do i check for this? Im a poor college student so if i can keep it out of the shop that would be ideal.

By the way, since your an LR tech maybe ill ask you instead of starting a new thread. i just bought the car with 131K miles. What is the routine/scheduled maintenance for this car besides the obvious oil change? Should i be worrying about replacing the spark plugs soon, etc?

Last edited by Evan5291; 07-25-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

run a wire from the starter solenoid to the battery box, turn the key release it, touch the wire to the battery. if it starts every time you do this it's not the starter. it could be a short in the wire to the starter, if you are having problems when it's warmer it could be the CPS.

as for just buying the truck you should do a full maintenance as you don't know how well it was taken care of before you purchased it. i would do plugs, wires, oil, tranny oil, TC oil, and the diff fluids as well as rebuild the front drive shaft with greasable u joints and check the rotoflex in the back is not cracked. i would replace the power steering and brake fluids and flush the coolant. run a can of tectron thru the tank, a can of seafoam thru the secondary air intake, new oil and air filters and wipe the throttle body clean with some carb cleaner.

then you should be in good shape.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:34 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation cant open driverside door

key wont go all the way in cuz it wont turn so i can open the door and disarm the alarm.....need help

Old 07-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by andoxx
key wont go all the way in cuz it wont turn so i can open the door and disarm the alarm.....need help
start a new thread