Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II won't start... stalled out...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II won't start... stalled out...

Hey, I am new to the forum here and love it so far.

I have a 02 Disco II (V8,gas) with 94,000 miles that was running perfect. I filled up the tank from 1/2 to full drove about five min., went into store for 10 min., came out and it would not start. After doing some cranking on and off for a few min. it started and ran about 3 miles and then it stalled as I hit the gas. Again the car would not start. I had a flatbed come and get it. After unloading it from the flatbed it started right up.

I live in Michigan and think there could be water in the gas tank... I think this because it started right after it was on the flatbed. I think that the severe incline it experieanced when unloading from the flatbed could of mixed up the gas and moved the water for a min.

Any Ideas... Is there other common problems that are known.

Thank you in advance.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You have a bad crank position sensor.
This is the most common problem with a DII.

If you had water in the gas it would not run at all, and collecting water in the gas tank is almost impossible with a daily driver.
The fuel pump always sucks gas from the very bottom of the gas tank so it will suck out any water as soon as it collects in the tank.
And besides that, gas is mixed with 10% ethanol, and ethanol (alcohol) sticks to water, so the water will stick to it and be burned in the engine as soon as it gets inside the tank.
A crank sensor can be had at AutoZone and is a DIY job if you have basic tools.
It is located on the back of the engine at the fly wheel, 3 o'clock position looking at the engine from the front.