Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco "Must Haves" for New Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco "Must Haves" for New Owners

I've had my 2004 Disco for two months now, and it needs new tires. Some onlineresearch turned new tires into swapping the 18 inch wheels to 16 inch, and thatled to adding a suspension lift. And on it goes from there.

I'm trying to look long term so I don't have to buy everything twice, and Ithought a list of suggested upgrades would be a good place to start. My goal isa daily driver that doesn't draw too much attention, but tackles dirt trailswith confidence.

Out of the gate I need tire, wheel, and suspension advice. I've read thatthe 18" to 16" wheel swap is pretty standard, but the shop foreman atmy local LR dealer said the taller side wall will "make it ride like ababy whale" on-road. All of the techs there own Disco's, so I'm inclinedto believe him.

I'd like to find a tire & wheel combo that will work with stocksuspension (for now), and a 2" lift in the near future. Plan B is do acomplete upgrade now. Plan C is keepeverything stock, upgrade later, and hope I can sell the OEM stuff later.

Suggestions for bumpers, brushguards, lights, and anything else would beextremely helpful as well. Not too muchto ask in a first post, right?

Last edited by Bravo11; 02-23-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've got a set of 18s with 265/65 BFG A/T with about 60-70% thread left.. PM me if you are interested in acquiring them.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I went from 18 inch to 16 inch with no adverse effect.

The best way I have heard it discribed is it when from handling like a corvette (i have ACE) to riding like a cadillac.
The extra side wall makes a world of difference in the ride also gives you more side wall to air down.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Must have would be a new driveshaft, or to rebuild the one you have.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

All depends on what you want to spend....Stock is stock no frills no performance gains but least costly

Tires, wheels, lift, driveshafts and any mechanicals motor, transfer case, leaks all phase 1
and the list just grows from here.....ask me how I know.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

If it needs new tires, it probably also needs new wheel bearings, or cartridge hubs, and at least new lower radius arm bushings, panhard rod and watts link bushings, new ball joints on the tie rod and drag link, and possibly new brakes. Make sure your CV joints aren't leaking, and if they are they're probably worn out as well. Keep the stock springs or air bags but get some rebuildable shocks. The 16's are going to be far better offroad than 18's. With the 16's you can get 75 or 85 profile tires without needing a big lift. Those you can air down and get traction and still have fairly tough sidewalls. On the street, the low profile tires on the 18's will have a very small advantage. I'm not sure what the baby whale comments are supposed to be about. What do they think there Discovery is a Porsche with the 18's? They're all whales.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
If it needs new tires, it probably also needs new wheel bearings, or cartridge hubs, and at least new lower radius arm bushings, panhard rod and watts link bushings, new ball joints on the tie rod and drag link, and possibly new brakes.
What??? Why would you say it "probably needs" all that just because the tires are worn?

Isn't that a bit like saying "I'm out of windshield wiper fluid, so I guess I'd better replace the windshield?"

Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

welcome to Land Rover ownership

Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Be sure tires are "taste tested".....

Attached Thumbnails Disco "Must Haves" for New Owners-lions_attack_safari.jpg  
Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Be sure tires are "taste tested".....
I know that I'd be driving that tire down to the rim if need be to get back through the gate. Thank God for Lockers...

Quick Reply: Disco "Must Haves" for New Owners