Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco a real rover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All one needs to do is lie down on a creeper, pull themselves underneath their Disco, then do the same to any Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, or Dodge truck - and there will be no doubt it's a "Real" Land Rover. It's exceedingly obvious just how much more robust almost every cross bar, axle spindle, steering knuckle, etc - is when compared to any of the aformentioned. Sadly, when you pull yourself beneath a Freelander you can't say the same, but as for the remainder of the Landrover lineup - no other make of truck is as robust right off the showroom floor. We cruise around in solidly built tanks.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got that right. The entire frame itself is double the strength of any other truck cuz it's a fully boxed frame, not just c channel.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Discovery 1 and Discovery 2 are REAL ROVERS. Stock or not. Defenders are sought after for their different look, ride, rareity and look of the original series. Any true defender enthusiast should appreciate the Disco, even if they think it's ugly. In my opinion REAL ROVERS in the US ended with the 2004 Disco and the P38A Range. Across the pond the only "REAL ROVER" still made is the Defender. Period.....

the freelander shouldn't be brought up in this discussion. the freelander shouldnt be our forums main image either. The D1, D2 and Defenders are REAL ROVER's. they are offspring of the same amazing family.

the freelander is a that second cousin no body likes.

This reminds me of a story during my youth, (when i was about 17 or 18) I pulled into a rover dealer for my monthly visit and drool session and i asked the receptionist behind the counter which vehicle is the most capable off road rig. She said the freelander,... I smiled and walked away. I wish i would have asked her why she thought so and most importantly i wanna know which dealer employee told her that lie.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:13 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jycsalas

the freelander shouldn't be brought up in this discussion. the freelander shouldnt be our forums main image either.
I agree soooo much with that. Every other forum has a disco or LR logo or something rugged. We, the best forum IMO, have a golden freelander??

Old 08-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
I agree soooo much with that. Every other forum has a disco or LR logo or something rugged. We, the best forum IMO, have a golden freelander??
I have often wondered this myself. This Land Rover Forum site is Discovery dominated. With over 5 times as many threads as Range Rover and over 15 times as many threads as Freelander and Defender put together. I'd like to meet the yuppee who decided on a Freelander, but he might boot me...

Old 08-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede
All one needs to do is lie down on a creeper, pull themselves underneath their Disco, then do the same to any Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, or Dodge truck - and there will be no doubt it's a "Real" Land Rover. It's exceedingly obvious just how much more robust almost every cross bar, axle spindle, steering knuckle, etc - is when compared to any of the aformentioned. Sadly, when you pull yourself beneath a Freelander you can't say the same, but as for the remainder of the Landrover lineup - no other make of truck is as robust right off the showroom floor. We cruise around in solidly built tanks.
Originally Posted by Rover Curious
You got that right. The entire frame itself is double the strength of any other truck cuz it's a fully boxed frame, not just c channel.
Damn straight!

Old 08-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Drifting

OK, so we've established that is is the same basic frame.. and engine. But what about the 4x4 system? it's dif. in the Defender yeah??

Old 08-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Alrover
OK, so we've established that is is the same basic frame.. and engine. But what about the 4x4 system? it's dif. in the Defender yeah??
Not really.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:40 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

plus this forum as sloppyjoe and he is the sloppiest of the shloppy

Old 08-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Alrover
I said drivetrain, that includes everything from the engine to the hubs.
The main gearbox on the 5-speed has a different shifter housing, but the internals are the same (I don't know about the automatic but I would expect it might have a different shifter housing too) and the transfer case has a different ratio, but otherwise is the same (you could swap them without a problem).

Quick Reply: Disco a real rover?