Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco a real rover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:42 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a buddy that is a Rover collector and has in his collection Series trucks, Defenders (NAS 90, 110 and imports 110, 1130) and Range Rovers. The Discovery he just built for his wife to drive is his first Discovery and he loves the truck. He's told me more than once how much he has enjoyed the truck and how capable they are off road stock.

Just for fun I'm going to get his opinion of this topic as a true Land Rover fanatic.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Rover
You don't offroad much do you?
Hi Pete, I hope one day you realize that your self esteem doesn't actually correlate with anything that happens on the internet.

I have posted in the past that I don't off road much any more. However I used to and have owned many different Land Rovers in the past, rebuilt most of them from the frame up, and my opinion is that the D90 and the Disco I are pretty different, even if the frames and several components are similar. For example, your 285's didn't go on your truck without a lift. All D90's even with the sway bars left on will run 285's. It makes a much bigger difference on the D90 due to the shorter wheel base, too. When I had my D90 off road what I constantly heard from RRC and DI owners is how much $$$ they are going to have to spend to keep up with the D90's. If you don't agree with my opinion, then fine, say that and move on.

Sorry if my opinion caused a break in this circle jerk about how great and ultimate the Disco is. I personally love the Disco for what it is - an excellent adventure/expedition vehicle that can be modified into a capable off roader. I don't think the D90 is a good family/commuting/trailer towing vehicle, which is why I don't have one anymore.

If that's not welcome here then by all means continue being a fanboi and believing that which ever vehicle you currently own is the best/manliest/shows the world you have a huge *****.

Again, I do think the Disco is the best Land Rover for everyday use, but don't try to boost your self esteem by claiming that it is just as good off road stock for stock as a Defender.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:32 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeyrabbit

Sorry if my opinion caused a break in this circle jerk about how great and ultimate the Disco is. I personally love the Disco for what it is - an excellent adventure/expedition vehicle that can be modified into a capable off roader. I don't think the D90 is a good family/commuting/trailer towing vehicle, which is why I don't have one anymore.

If that's not welcome here then by all means continue being a fanboi and believing that which ever vehicle you currently own is the best/manliest/shows the world you have a huge *****.

Again, I do think the Disco is the best Land Rover for everyday use, but don't try to boost your self esteem by claiming that it is just as good off road stock for stock as a Defender.

count to 10....

Old 08-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Lol.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

this discussion is going off in another direction. lets start a new thread if you want to discuss "Disco vs Defender". But in regards to Discos being a REAL ROVER...

I think the answer is YES.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Rock Crawling

I wheel most every weekend in western Colorado or the Moab area. Mainly with Jeepers who seem to accept my D1 well once they realize how good it is offroad even if it isn't lifted as high. The times I've wheeled with Defenders in the past I can say I usually did not like it as 75% of Defenders owners are very smug and arrogant. Given running with Jeeps or Defenders, I will take the Jeepers as they are mainly blue collar types like myself not nose in the air types like many of the Defender people I've run with seemed to be in the past. Are Discos real Land Rovers? Hell yes. Are Defenders and their owners better than us lowly old Disco owners? Hell no.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:57 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all really depends on how you define things. It was not until the introduction of the Discovery that the "Series" vehicles were really called that, before then there were Land Rovers (Series) and Range Rovers (RRC), so by that thinking no, they're not Land Rovers, they're Discovery, nothing to be ashamed of.. but most people seem to be taking the view that they are the evolution of the design, which of course they are.

Are they as modular and field-repairable as the "Land Rover", no of course not. Are they better? Depends, they're certainly more civilized and have things like working Air Conditioning and Heating... are those traits that make them less of a Land Rover? Depends.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Roverrocks
I wheel most every weekend in western Colorado or the Moab area. Mainly with Jeepers who seem to accept my D1 well once they realize how good it is offroad even if it isn't lifted as high. The times I've wheeled with Defenders in the past I can say I usually did not like it as 75% of Defenders owners are very smug and arrogant. Given running with Jeeps or Defenders, I will take the Jeepers as they are mainly blue collar types like myself not nose in the air types like many of the Defender people I've run with seemed to be in the past. Are Discos real Land Rovers? Hell yes. Are Defenders and their owners better than us lowly old Disco owners? Hell no.
aka. smokeyrabbit

Old 08-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Mudding

I have read all of the posts with some interest.

This is what I have come to think.

All trucks with Land Rover or Range Rover on the tail gate are Land Rovers.

Now if that means that they are all great off road well that would change a lot.

As far as a D-90 goes a great truck for what it can do, same with the D-110.
The Discovery I's are made to do some what different job as are the Discovery II's.

Would you find a FreeLander doing the samething as a Super Charged Range Rover,,,NO.

Each was made to fill a market place.

Look at Jeep how many models do they have?

Would I own a D-90,, No I have no Need for one.
A Range Rover Sport no,,,, its not that its COOL its do I have a use for it.

I would own a D-110.
I'm more of a OverLander and here in the US D-110's cost more than I would want to leave in a backcountry spot and take my backpack and walk off from.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, watch the top video and then try and tell me that a DI is not a capable off roader, I DARE YOU!!

http://www.offroadbigbear.com/Landrover.html

Quick Reply: Disco a real rover?