Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco TD5 wont turn over ,help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 03:35 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco TD5 wont turn over ,help

Hi all, can you help.The old girl will not turn over.New battery with great voltage all the dash lights come on but engine not turning over. Where is the starter relay in the box by the way anybody know? i cant identify its location.Any other clues please gentlemen?

Old 03-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Is it in park?

Foot on the brake?

Does it crank?

Old 03-03-2018, 09:14 AM
5th Gear

Hi

Its a manual so in Neutral no does not crank at all although battery is brand new.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:31 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Try replacing the relay first, it's shown in the handbook, can't remember which number it is. If not the relay it may be the starter solenoid and if not the solenoid it is the starter motor itself. No need to replace the starter if it's solenoid as they can be separated. Also the exciter LT wire may be dirty at the starter motor spade end.

Where are you located?

Old 03-04-2018, 03:15 AM
5th Gear

The handbookbook i have does not exactly specify the starter relay although i suspect its the first large black one in the main under bonnet fuse board unless anybody knows different.
The other symptom is the indicators and electric windows dont work but their relevant fuses are fine.
I am in Guildford Surrey UK by the way.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Do you have a multimeter?

Just because the battery is new, does not mean its still charged. Why did you replace the battery? What happened before it had this issue?

Do you have lights? Horn?

You need to give us more information.

Check back sooner, more often.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:36 AM
5th Gear

Q.Do you have a multimeter?
A.Yes ,and the battery reads 13.8v
When the ignition comes on all the lights come up on the dash but when the key is turned the lights dont even dim meaning there is no drain and no attempt at starting and the solenoid does not even try
Q.Just because the battery is new, does not mean its still charged. Why did you replace the battery? What happened before it had this issue?
A.The battery was replaced as the old one died

Q.Do you have lights? Horn?
A.Yes to lights and horn and no to indicators and electric windows.
You need to give us more information.
I am tempted to think either its the earth to the BCU and or a more sinister diagnostic issue so i will need an auto electrician.

Unless any body has any brighter ideas.

Check back sooner, more often.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,264 Likes on 890 Posts

Not a hundred percent sure of your setup, being diesel and all...but you should have three mega fuses in your engine compartment fuse box. Can't remember right off the top of my head, but I believe you have two 50amp and one 100amp...regardless...check those...they are square in shape and located just inside the box by the main feed line.

Also, did you try jumping the two terminals at the starter to eliminate it as an issue?

Also, X2...did the other electrical issues happen at the same time?

Brian.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by FrancisD
.................................................. .................................................. .
I am in Guildford Surrey UK by the way.
I know Guildford very well, in fact like the back of my hand, I used to live in East Meads, Onslow Village some years ago.

We will be passing through close to Guildford in a few weeks time.

I thought you weren't in the US by mention of the D2 TD5 which were not sold there.

Do you have a code reader? if not call Ashley at AH Autos at the Slyfield Estate and he might be able to help, you may have to pay him some money but it's far cheaper than Hunters and certainly less than buying a code reader.

It would be helpful if you list all the mods ever done and any other faults as they help trace possible major faults. It might be the large fuses kaput or possibly a short in the windows or indicators electrics/mechanisms. Have you been wading recently or offroading anywhere where water or damage may have occurred.

Download the LR RAVE workshop manual from the internet or from the forum here and check the electrical diagrams for the charging and starting diagrams.

PS: RAVE Page 86-1-4 shows you how to remove the starter motor and solenoid. Also the wiring diagrams are shown under Charging and Starting, TD5 RHD.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 03-04-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:57 AM
5th Gear

Ok the problem was corrosion on the starter relay and on the contacts at the back of the BCU under the steering wheel.
Contacts cleaned and dried the car out a bit and all ok.
Used an auto electrician locally and best #75 sterling i ever spent

Oh by the way his email address is.... jaypressler@msn.com
Based near Guildford surrey Good guy