Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

discovery 2 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:19 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default discovery 2 misfire

I know this seems to be a common problem as I have reviewed in the other threads. My disco 2 is misfiring usually when you first start it. If I let it run for a while before I drive it will go away. Sometimes when I drive it will intermittently do it again. If this is caused by the wires, shouldnt it always misfire? What makes it do it sometimes and not others? Secondly should I also replace the coils as well when I change out the plugs and wires? It seems as though taking off the manifold is a daunting task. Thanks ahead for your help. This forum is excellent.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can repalce the plug wires without removing the intake plenum.
Do not replace the coils unless they are bad as they are expensive.
You must use Magnecor plug wires, I recommend Iridium spark plugs but you can use whatever you want.
When the plug wires are cold they shrink and wont make a good connection, once they warm up they expand and make a good connection, that is the only reason that I can think of for having mis fires when cold but not when hot.
Before you do the tune up check and make sure that all the wires are seated correctly on the coils and the plugs.
www.apexperformance.net has the best price on the wires.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:36 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yep!!

I agree with Spike. Just did mine about 2 months ago. Didn't remove the manifold. Did use a telescopic mirror you can get from any auto parts store. Made viewing easy. There is a link on here somewhere for the order of the plug wires to the coils. It's a nice diagram. I wouldn't change the coils yet. try the wires first and make sure you put a dielectric grease o the ends of the plugs and in the wire boots on coil side. It prevents corrosion. took me 2 hours. Lay a carpet piece over the manifold to get up there on your belly. Also remove back electric conduits over coils for better ac cess. pull them out of their clips and push out of the way. Good luck and let me know how it goes!! Rove on!! culture1

Old 05-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are U loosing any coolant? rough start-up can be a head gasket, not to alarm u, just keep an eye.. The plug wires will also make it misfire, mine usually did it when it was at operating temp, and under a load (up a bridge or towing my boat).